Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You must have an air leak in the ash bin area. Maybe the door isn't sealing properly? I am not seeing an unusual amount of fuel usage. I've been using primarily Royal Oak Classic briquets. After shutting down, the grill has usually cooled down enough to cover it after a couple hours. I tried out a bag of B&B Oak briquets and that lasted even longer than the RO.
I've emailed masterbuilt.. We'll see where that takes me lol I didn't put together the ash area so can't say I know what might be leaking.. I suppose I can look in there but not sure how I'll tell

Reactions: Will Squared
Uh based on amount of charcoal I'm burning for quick cooks, and 90min cooks.. It's bonkers level consumption. Some. Are suggesting only load the unit with how much you want to use that cook.. As it just burns away tons of extra in the hopper. It doesn't get snuffed out like a egg does. I'm down over 24lb of charcoal in burn in. 1. Steaks@700 2. Burgers 350. 3.flat chicken 350/90min

I am about to order another 10 bags of charcoal.. I'm used to 1 bag lasting me a month in my akorn....

Keep your gas. Buy the 560 with the vent so it can be modded for consumption, and don't count on this thing being around in 4 years.. Maybe some later versions of it will last longer.

It's convenient but go into it with open eyes.

I believe there’s merit to not filling the hopper all the way if your not cooking for a long time. I was scratching my head to on why it uses a lot of fuel on a short cook. Last time before I fired it up to grill some sausages I checked the hopper and it had just enough left where I could see some of the ash bin. I put in just enough to cover it up maybe a 3” layer. Fired it up cooked at 425 for maybe 15 minutes and shut it down. Checked the hopper after it cooled and it hardly used any fuel. Still couldn’t see into the ash bin .

I believe there’s merit to not filling the hopper all the way if your not cooking for a long time. I was scratching my head to on why it uses a lot of fuel on a short cook. Last time before I fired it up to grill some sausages I checked the hopper and it had just enough left where I could see some of the ash bin. I put in just enough to cover it up maybe a 3” layer. Fired it up cooked at 425 for maybe 15 minutes and shut it down. Checked the hopper after it cooled and it hardly used any fuel. Still couldn’t see into the ash bin .
It Nom Nom nomd through 1/3 hopper today on a 2hr cook at 225. Very little left. I'll try doing something quick with what little is left in there and see how it goes. I had to order ten more bags of charcoal today... I'm carrying two bags up to the balcony at a time. They're 8lb cowboy lump bags.

Irony was I was using charcoal on my napoleon gas grill, inside its charcoal optional insert tray and I was like man this is a waste as I don't get to turn it off.. It burns itself out.. Lol.. it was using less fuel!

My bbq dragon and chimney of insanity just arrived.. Super stoked to get it up to 1100f or something like others have and sear some steak. Might be the fix I been looking for

It Nom Nom nomd through 1/3 hopper today on a 2hr cook at 225. Very little left. I'll try doing something quick with what little is left in there and see how it goes. I had to order ten more bags of charcoal today... I'm carrying two bags up to the balcony at a time. They're 8lb cowboy lump bags.

Irony was I was using charcoal on my napoleon gas grill, inside its charcoal optional insert tray and I was like man this is a waste as I don't get to turn it off.. It burns itself out.. Lol.. it was using less fuel!

My bbq dragon and chimney of insanity just arrived.. Super stoked to get it up to 1100f or something like others have and sear some steak. Might be the fix I been looking for

1/3 of a hopper at 225 for 2 hours? What fuel are you using? I don’t burn through anywhere close to that much.

1/3 of a hopper at 225 for 2 hours? What fuel are you using? I don’t burn through anywhere close to that much.
Cowboy lump charcoal.. I'm guessing same consumption with the other lump and briquettes I had mawed through. I wonder what's wrong

Cowboy lump charcoal.. I'm guessing same consumption with the other lump and briquettes I had mawed through. I wonder what's wrong

I've used Cowboy lump and it didn't last long. Too many small pieces that fell right through the ash grate before burning. I get a decent burn time with Royal Oak ridge briquets. Try B&B Charcoal Briquets or the B&B Char Logs. I got excellent burn time with the B&B briquets. Burned around 2/3 of a hopper after an 8.5 hour brisket smoke. 250-275 cooking temp.

I wove two rods into the charcoal grate and it provides a more thorough burn of my fuel.
That might help.
A real simple mod.

I wove two rods into the charcoal grate and it provides a more thorough burn of my fuel.
That might help.
A real simple mod.

I've seen many others do something similar. I haven't decided to do it yet. I was amazed at the B&B briquets as they burned completely to ash with zero partially burned charcoal chunks in the ash pan.

I've used Cowboy lump and it didn't last long. Too many small pieces that fell right through the ash grate before burning. I get a decent burn time with Royal Oak ridge briquets. Try B&B Charcoal Briquets or the B&B Char Logs. I got excellent burn time with the B&B briquets. Burned around 2/3 of a hopper after an 8.5 hour brisket smoke. 250-275 cooking temp.
Am in Canada so no b&b here, but will try briquettes again, and grate mod as well

Pulled the trigger and got in a 560. Should be assembling tomorrow. I read through all the posts in this thread and found them vary helpful. I deal confident about my choice. I’ve hade good luck with master built. I have a MES that I’ve had since 2007 and only had to replace the element once due to my own negligence. My offset smoker finally bit the rust so I needed a new grill. The 560 seams like it can do everything I need. I love the idea of temperature setting with charcoal flavor and burn.

Last night's grill..... Reverse seared T-Bones. 225 for about 45 minutes and cranked it up. Best steaks I've ever cooked, couldn't believe how juicy they were!

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 84
Have any of you solved your app problems by replacing the control module?

no. replacing the control module, unless you go with something like a fireboard, will not resolve the issue.

i believe I know what 95% of the problem is. I fixed mine last night. I am in the middle of fighting with MB right now.

Stay tuned.

Reactions: Aledavidov
no. replacing the control module, unless you go with something like a fireboard, will not resolve the issue.

i believe I know what 95% of the problem is. I fixed mine last night. I am in the middle of fighting with MB right now.

Stay tuned.
I'd be happy to give your fix a try and see if I can replicate it

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky