Masterbuilt Gravity Feed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Old news thanks though we 560 owners by about 98% are extremely happy with them. As as side note next time I run dry I will photo my chute which has 0 defects.

Agree that most are happy and the picture shown includes a mod that per MasterBuilt is not supported for those reasons.

Machine smokes great to answer some other people's questions. No off smell and it is important to burn off the oil when prepping and seasoning for the first time.

Looking forward to seeing my 1050 delivered soon. Hopefully tomorrow.
Two questions:
#1:Best instructional video/manual for minimizing the cussing and drinking during assembly? (probably already a link in here somewhere)
#2: What are you using to light your MB units? Anyone use homemade fire starters?

Two questions:
#1:Best instructional video/manual for minimizing the cussing and drinking during assembly? (probably already a link in here somewhere)
#2: What are you using to light your MB units? Anyone use homemade fire starters?
#1. For best results, no drinking while assembling the grill
#2. Ignit-o cubes and a propane torch

Two questions:
1, give plenty of time and nor in a rush and you'll be fine. 2, I use a folded paper towel with your choice of cooking oil squirted in it to keep it going for more than a minute (i use avacado oil for everything on the grill). fold it, squirt some in the towel, sutff it in the holder and make sure its lit well.. once you close the door it will catch fine.

So there have been a couple of you weigh in but now that there’s more activity I’d like to ask everyone - how many of you regularly grill hamburgers on this? I do think using a cast iron griddle sounds like good way to avoid grease fires from burgers.

Also - anyone ever use something to catch the grease? I love smoking ribs, bacon-wrapped chicken thighs and other fatty meats. Usually the water pan in my smoker catches all the drippings, but maybe that’s not a problem with the 560?

Reactions: Will Squared
So there have been a couple of you weigh in but now that there’s more activity I’d like to ask everyone - how many of you regularly grill hamburgers on this? I do think using a cast iron griddle sounds like good way to avoid grease fires from burgers.

Also - anyone ever use something to catch the grease? I love smoking ribs, bacon-wrapped chicken thighs and other fatty meats. Usually the water pan in my smoker catches all the drippings, but maybe that’s not a problem with the 560?
If i smoke ribs or something i normally only smoke on the upper shelves and have a water tray on the lower, just because i want the water tray to catch the drippings and steam upwards back to the meat.
i only have a family of 4 so the 2 trays up top are plenty for me, but i did smoke a boston butt on the bottom rack once and it was fine., you shouldnt be getting flareups with a 225 smoke anyways.

Has anyone had any issues with their fan not turning on with all the doors closed? I put mine together last night, everything seemed to go together smoothly. Went to do the initial season today per the instructions. Followed each step and when I got everything lit and closed up - the fan didn’t come on at all. I let it sit awhile but the internal temp never got above 74 degrees. Fan never came on. I double checked all of the connections and no issues there. Anyone else have this problem?

I just found out about the Masterbuilt g560 and I must say I’m impressed. I want one. I’m glad I found this thread.

I kinda wanted a pellet pooper and a weber kettle...but the 560 seems to satisfy both of those requirements. I get the convience of pellet grill with the charcoal flavor of a kettle.

It seems like this can easily replace a gas grill, especially with it coming up to temperature quickly? My POS grill only gets to about 450 so I truly never get a good sear.

Also to all the 560 owners, how do you feel about keeping it on a wood deck? I would love to do that...but if there’s an issue with ash and embers, I would wheel it out from my basement and use it in the driveway.
Just ran mine through it’s first cook (ribs) and absolutely love everything about it.....to the point I had my son and his buddy haul my Weber gas, Traeger and Bradley down off my deck. I don’t see any issues with leaving it on your wood deck, that’s where mine is sitting and I played with it quite a bit today and saw no issues.

Has anyone had any issues with their fan not turning on with all the doors closed? I put mine together last night, everything seemed to go together smoothly. Went to do the initial season today per the instructions. Followed each step and when I got everything lit and closed up - the fan didn’t come on at all. I let it sit awhile but the internal temp never got above 74 degrees. Fan never came on. I double checked all of the connections and no issues there. Anyone else have this problem?
Did you adjust temp knob up to 250? And then remember you need to push the temp button once more to lock it in. As soon as I turn the temp knob my fan kicked in. I did have an issue with my lid sensor not shutting down the fan today but haven’t looks into it yet.

Good Morning,

I love the 560. I've had it for a few weeks and I've mostly done smokes on the weekend due to my work schedule. I've done meatloaf (so, so results - I left it on too long), chicken wings - turned great.... I did baby back ribs this weekend and were dry with no bark. Are people using water trays on the 560? When I did ribs on my old masterbuilt propane smoker, they usually came out most and tendor with nice bark. Although, I usually used Smithfield ribs, the wife didn't want me to use those this time because of the COVID outbreak at the plant, so this time I went to the butcher shop and they were probably twice as thick as the smithfield ribs. I started at 225 for the first hour, then turned up to 250 after an hour, then turned up again to 275 after another hour. I cooked for 4.5 hours. Just wondering if a water tray would've helped or if I should've have foiled due to the thickness.

Last edited:
Just ran mine through it’s first cook (ribs) and absolutely love everything about it.....to the point I had my son and his buddy haul my Weber gas, Traeger and Bradley down off my deck. I don’t see any issues with leaving it on your wood deck, that’s where mine is sitting and I played with it quite a bit today and saw no issues.

Thank you! That's good to know. I'm definitely jumping on one of these once I feel a little more comfortable spending the bucks.

Now spend it on lump, briquets, and meat.
I assume you are talking to me. Actually, going to go back and buy the cover with the rebate money. Already have charcoal, lump & chunks ready to go. Going to start with a pork shoulder on Saturday and going to smoke a Prime Rib Roast on Sunday. .

Are people using water trays on the 560?

I use a bowl for water on cooks that need.
I have used my 560 for a lot of Dries instead of cooks.
The 560 is super versatile.
I even sterilized potting soil for my wife and her seed starting trays.
185' @ 45 minutes.

I am even figuring a way to duct the hot air to an insulated box to cure bows for archery.
The epoxy for my bow risers and limbs need to be cured at 180' for 9 hours.
I just need to fab some sheet metal to connect to the 560 manifold.

I might be having too much time on my hands with the lock down...

If you need storage space in your kitchen for spices, do you have a little wall space you could cut a door in and add some shelfs? couple hinges and your in business, no problems hiding stuff from your wife who cks dates and throws stuff out when it aint even 2 years out of date lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky