Masterbuilt Dual Fuel temp and smoke control question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buzznapper

Original poster
Feb 8, 2018
Ok, so I'm new to smoking. I got the Masterbuilt dual fuel and smoked a brisket (flat...Maybe 5 lbs). Turned out tasty but a little heavy on the smoke. What is the best way to control how heavily smoked the meat gets? Is there a method to using the lower and upper vents? Should I leave them open? Should I wrap the meat after a while?

Also, is it possible to simulate cold smoking or smoke at a lower temp for sausages? I was thinking of making Andouille sausage. Any tips or thoughts?

Thanks!

I think both issues could be solved with an AMNPS. I had a dual fuel and it either ran too hot (too much smoke - my guess on your brisket) or too cold (no smoke). AMNPS gives me the best TBS I ever got for hours on end. Never could pull that off on my gasser but still made some good cue. For cold smoking, adding the AMNPS to your smoker with no heat added should give you great temps for cold smoking but you'd have to use a needle valve mod for lower heat on sausage. I eventually caved and went MES and very happy I did since it was more stable and a better range of temps. No matter what, when your starting out it take time to learn how to dial stuff in so just be patient.

anyone have details on how to add the needle valve. is it pretty straight forward or do i need some additional parts?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky