Masterbuilt 40" Electric smoker with remote $239.99 (1 day only )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I was just coming to post about this. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a MES but was planning on getting the bluetooth model from sam's club this weekend. As I understand it, (correct me if i'm wrong) the sam's model is gen 3 and has less problems? Do you guys think its a good idea to buy a gen2 or stick with the one from sam's? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just coming to post about this. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a MES but was planning on getting the bluetooth model from sam's club this weekend. As I understand it, (correct me if i'm wrong) the sam's model is gen 3 and has less problems? Do you guys think its a good idea to buy a gen2 or stick with the one from sam's? Thanks.

Go with Sam's Bluetooth gen 2.5. No gen 3 made yet. The one in the link had no sun shield over the digital display so I think it's a gen 2 which I would avoid. No internal pics so the lack of sun shield is my best guess.
-Kurt

Go with Sam's Bluetooth gen 2.5. No gen 3 made yet. The one in the link had no sun shield over the digital display so I think it's a gen 2 which I would avoid. No internal pics so the lack of sun shield is my best guess.
-Kurt
yeahthat.gif
  Exactly what Kurt said.

The one in the link also looks like it has the full width slanted Drip plate, which would be the Gen #2.

On edit----I just noticed if you look to the right they have interior pics, and that one is definitely the Gen #2.

I'd get the Bluetooth.

Bear

Last edited:
Personally they are like everything else from China, its just a roll of the dice. I chased down a Gen 1 which supposed to be the best with the least problem, Masterbuild replaced the original purchase 4 times. The last one was a Gen 2, and its maybe going to make sausage this year, can't get the box temp above 220.

Its all on the roll of the dice. I am actually contemplating a Bluetooth and I don't own anything to talk to it with.  But Mr.Bear swears by his. (He swears by his Gen1 also, I just swear at mine) LOL

I saw this this morning, too. This model has the vent on top, in the back, left-hand corner, instead of on the side, so I don't think it's a Gen 2. Maybe the 2.5?

It's similar to the 30" one offered lately by QVC, but this is a 40" for about the same price.

Last edited:

I saw this this morning, too. This model has the vent on top, in the back, left-hand corner, instead of on the side, so I don't think it's a Gen 2. Maybe the 2.5?

It's similar to the 30" one offered lately by QVC, but this is a 40" for about the same price.
The one Mike posted in Post #1 is definitely a Gen #2. 

Some of the later Gen #2 units had the top vent on top left, instead of left "Side", but they still had the Gen #2 interior, like this one has.

Bear

Last edited:
Well, I just got back from Sam's with this in tow. Thanks guys for helping me avoid buying a problem child.

38cf71582bad09532cb22b17bdd1b983.jpg

I was going to post about this Woot deal, but all of you had the same idea.  If I didn't have my Masterbuilt Smoker already I would have probably jumped on this deal since I don't have Sam's Club.  The only difference between mine and this, is the window and the remote control.  I'm pretty happy with my little gift that I got a couple years ago.

Personally they are like everything else from China, its just a roll of the dice. I chased down a Gen 1 which supposed to be the best with the least problem, Masterbuild replaced the original purchase 4 times. The last one was a Gen 2, and its maybe going to make sausage this year, can't get the box temp above 220.

Its all on the roll of the dice. I am actually contemplating a Bluetooth and I don't own anything to talk to it with.  But Mr.Bear swears by his. (He swears by his Gen1 also, I just swear at mine) LOL
I've been cussing my 40" Gen 1 lately because of the design (heat, temp sensor and vent up the right rear wall/corner) instead of even temps across the grate at all four corners.  I spent two weeks off and on just running it empty with different configurations as well as Bear's deflector and found that the water pan isn't centered in the smoker because the grate holders aren't centered on the side walls, allowing more heat up the back wall instead of the door.  I put the water pan on the second from the bottom grate holders and centered it then Bear's deflector on the bottom grate in the right rear corner.  That created layers the heat has to travel through to get all corners on the second from the top grate even.  It cut my heating cycles to under 10*F coasting up and down.  I took pics and will start a new thread when I get a chance.  It also doesn't vaporizer drippings in the empty water pan a much on the second from the bottom level.   

-Kurt

I've been cussing my 40" Gen 1 lately because of the design (heat, temp sensor and vent up the right rear wall/corner) instead of even temps across the grate at all four corners.  I spent two weeks off and on just running it empty with different configurations as well as Bear's deflector and found that the water pan isn't centered in the smoker because the grate holders aren't centered on the side walls, allowing more heat up the back wall instead of the door.  I put the water pan on the second from the bottom grate holders and centered it then Bear's deflector on the bottom grate in the right rear corner.  That created layers the heat has to travel through to get all corners on the second from the top grate even.  It cut my heating cycles to under 10*F coasting up and down.  I took pics and will start a new thread when I get a chance.  It also doesn't vaporizer drippings in the empty water pan a much on the second from the bottom level.   

-Kurt
I put my Gen #1 away, but mine had play in the hanging brackets, so I could push it back & forth to where I wanted it & still be within the slump part of the brackets.

Sounds like you made a good improvement, as long as you don't need the number 3 Rack for food !!  I rarely used that one.

Bear

I put my Gen #1 away, but mine had play in the hanging brackets, so I could push it back & forth to where I wanted it & still be within the slump part of the brackets.

Sounds like you made a good improvement, as long as you don't need the number 3 Rack for food !!  I rarely used that one.

Bear
The grate sits on top of the water bowl so all three top grates can be used. 

-Kurt

The grate sits on top of the water bowl so all three top grates can be used. 

-Kurt
OK----Cool---I thought only the bottom holders had the extra wire to hold the water pan. Did you switch the holders (#3 and #4)?

Thanks,

Bear

OK----Cool---I thought only the bottom holders had the extra wire to hold the water pan. Did you switch the holders (#3 and #4)?

Thanks,

Bear
Moved the water bowl up to the second from the bottom level.  The Uneven heating thread is now up since you posted this.

-Kurt

I have a 40" 2.5 gen. Works fine with the only weak spot being the temp prob. I think it's because it's holstered in a metal bracket that shorts out the prob. I have a Weber dual prob that states in the instructions to avoid contact with metal when in use to avoid shorting it out. I drilled a hole in a chunk of wood that it rests in, so far no more issues.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky