Masterbuilt 20070106 30-Inch Electric Smokehouse Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cgrose60

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Got my new MES on Wednesday but didn't have the time to season it till Saturday. Slipped my ChefAlarm through the vent to double check thermometer and set it for 275 degrees. I then went upstairs and heard the alarm going off, by the time I got downstairs the ChefAlarm was at 375 degrees and the MES was at 325 even though I had set it for 275. Quickly turned it off and opened the door for it to cool down.  After it cooled down I tried it again but it kept wanting to go over the 275 I set it for, this time it went up to 300 b4 I shut it down. Of course being a Saturday there is no customer service at Masterbuilt. Any one else had this problem straight out of the box? 

Yes, I got a brand new one from QVC and attempted to season it.  We couldn't get the temp higher than 111* for three hours. Sent it back for a variety of reasons, but mainly because of all the problems experienced by members. We didn't want to deal with the possibility of defective parts in the future.

LadyGT thanks for the reply. I called Masterbuilt on Monday and sat an hour and a half on ignore (hold) b4 I talked to Customer Service.  Then on top of that the person that I talked to kept arguing with me about the temperature fluctuation. She kept insisting that there is a 10 to 15 degree difference between what the Control Box says and the heat inside the smoker. I kept trying to tell her there was a 50 degree difference and not a 10 to 15 degree and the temp kept rising. Finally, she asked me if I wanted to send the unit back or have her send me a new control box, I opted for the new control box. So as luck would have it I have yet to use the new smoker or season it in over a week.

The Masterbuilt 20070106 looks identical to the model 20070910 I bought over two years ago. The MBTech Guy explained how some of those model numbers come about so this model might have been made at a different time than mine or there could be another reason for the different model number.

Mine is still working great.

Call me crazy, but I would have requested a whole new unit.  For the purchase price, I feel a customer SHOULD NOT have to repair this product him/herself right out of the box.  To be kept on hold for 1 1/2 hours and the customer service rep argue with me about my experience is unacceptable.  On the other hand, the time spent on hold may be indicative about the company itself.  After reading the many threads about this model's problems, I cannot believe people still purchase them.  Forum members have posted that Masterbuilt has been sending out free parts to fix their problems. It's quite obvious to me that the original materials used to manufacture them are of poor quality.  I do not understand how the company can afford to stay in business if they are continuously replacing parts at no charge. I guess they can afford to because the smokers are produced in CHINA.

Call me crazy, but I would have requested a whole new unit.  For the purchase price, I feel a customer SHOULD NOT have to repair this product him/herself right out of the box.  To be kept on hold for 1 1/2 hours and the customer service rep argue with me about my experience is unacceptable.  On the other hand, the time spent on hold may be indicative about the company itself.  After reading the many threads about this model's problems, I cannot believe people still purchase them.  Forum members have posted that Masterbuilt has been sending out free parts to fix their problems. It's quite obvious to me that the original materials used to manufacture them are of poor quality.  I do not understand how the company can afford to stay in business if they are continuously replacing parts at no charge. I guess they can afford to because the smokers are produced in CHINA.
and for some strange reason people keep buying them.....go figure

Got my new MES on Wednesday but didn't have the time to season it till Saturday. Slipped my ChefAlarm through the vent to double check thermometer and set it for 275 degrees. I then went upstairs and heard the alarm going off, by the time I got downstairs the ChefAlarm was at 375 degrees and the MES was at 325 even though I had set it for 275. Quickly turned it off and opened the door for it to cool down.  After it cooled down I tried it again but it kept wanting to go over the 275 I set it for, this time it went up to 300 b4 I shut it down. Of course being a Saturday there is no customer service at Masterbuilt. Any one else had this problem straight out of the box? 
I wish mine would get that hot Crispy Birds. Try setting it at 200* use your chefalarm to learn its spike.

LadyGT thanks for the reply. I called Masterbuilt on Monday and sat an hour and a half on ignore (hold) b4 I talked to Customer Service.  Then on top of that the person that I talked to kept arguing with me about the temperature fluctuation. She kept insisting that there is a 10 to 15 degree difference between what the Control Box says and the heat inside the smoker. I kept trying to tell her there was a 50 degree difference and not a 10 to 15 degree and the temp kept rising. Finally, she asked me if I wanted to send the unit back or have her send me a new control box, I opted for the new control box. So as luck would have it I have yet to use the new smoker or season it in over a week.
I think you made the right decision. It's simple to replace the top controller. On my MES 30 I typically see a temp fluctuation of about 15 degrees either way depending on the controller cycle. However, after the smoker is started and after the initial heating cycle, the residual heat from the element can overshoot your set point. This should settle down after a few cycles when the temp is closer to the target temp more or less by a few degrees during each cycle. I typically see that +/- 15 degree swing but I also see the temp staying at my set point for a few minutes during each cycle. I think it all averages out to your set point, anyway.

I've only called MB customer service twice but was never put on hold for more than a few minutes. I've worked a lot of call centers and I know that the quality of customer service depends on who's answering the calls. Some CSRs know what they're talking about, others only THINK they know what they're talking about. This problem is at its worst with new hires.

Looks like you could have had a bad controller but as with all products made in China some of are superb quality while some factories/shifts/workers may turn out lemons.

Another thing to be aware of after you've used your smoker a few times (assuming the new controller fixes the problem) is keeping the rear interior wall clean. There are two electrical components on that wall: the high temp limit switch and the temp sensor that must be kept clean to avoid temp problems. I or someone can post more about these sensors another time. But now I also wonder if your MES came with a bad hi temp limit switch? I'd want a new replacement smoker if that were the case.

People keep buying them because we don't have $300+ to spend on a smoker, and the MES turns out some great stuff. I understand that the SI line and the like are quality smokers, but I believe the positive feedback FAR out weighs the negative in this case. I wonder if we had people post there photos of awesome stuff that was turned out in their MES, how many would come along and say "Well my never worked like yours...."

How about I get it started:

PS: I like making sausage 
first.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: cyberb0b

People keep buying them because we don't have $300+ to spend on a smoker, and the MES turns out some great stuff. I understand that the SI line and the like are quality smokers, but I believe the positive feedback FAR out weighs the negative in this case. I wonder if we had people post there photos of awesome stuff that was turned out in their MES, how many would come along and say "Well my never worked like yours...."

How about I get it started:

PS: I like making sausage 
first.gif
I just edited out the response to Chef Willie. It wasn't meant to be inserted here, rgautheir20420.

Seeing your photos of sausages is inspirational. I've got an electric meat grinder and a sausage stuffer so it's on my someday list to make my own sausage. A local butcher store sells pork. lamb, and synthetic sausage casings for when I'm ready to take the plunge. When you make sausage, do you hang them from the top rack or do you lay them across several racks?

Last edited:

Chef Willie, I fully agree with you. I've looked at those SI prices but I can't afford one. I bought a MES 30 Gen 1 because it was both a great smoker AND affordable. I've gotten some great tips on smoking with it in these groups and after buying the AMNPS I've gotten better each time. My MES is as good as I'd hoped it would be.

Seeing your photos of sausages is inspirational. I've got an electric meat grinder and a sausage stuffer so it's on my someday list to make my own sausage. A local butcher store sells pork. lamb, and synthetic sausage casings for when I'm ready to take the plunge. When you make sausage, do you hang them from the top rack or do you lay them across several racks?
As of now, I'm simply linking them and they sit on the racks. I have a wooden dowel that I'm planning to make a custom hanging rack (when I get around to it). Here's another picture for illustration purposes.

Have you boil tested your "ChefAlarm" lately?

Bear

All the sausage I've made were whole muscles, chopped, spiced, cured, ground, stuffed, and smoked myself. That's the fun in it for me 
sausage.gif

However, you can hot smoked any fresh sausage the the store you want.
Whole muscles? You're the real deal. This calls for some brain picking.
points.gif

Whole muscles? You're the real deal. This calls for some brain picking.
points.gif
Ha I just mean I buy whole piece of meat. Which I usually use pork shoulder for sausage making, it's the best all around piece usually, and chop it up myself and what not. Most others around here that make their own try not to mess with pre ground stuff. The fresher the better. Feel free to PM me anytime about it. Always welcome to  help!

It's a brand new unit but that is an excellent idea and I will give it a go. Thanks for the heads up. Did get a new controller from Masterbuilt and unit is working fine now. Making meat loaf on the MES right now.

Got the new controller and she's doing just as you said, when first plugged in over shoots target temp but then comes on back down. Seasoned it a couple nights ago and now making smoked meat loaf. Temps are holding between 172-178 on controller so we're doing good. I will clean the back after every smoke and thanks for the heads up.  :)

Ha I just mean I buy whole piece of meat. Which I usually use pork shoulder for sausage making, it's the best all around piece usually, and chop it up myself and what not. Most others around here that make their own try not to mess with pre ground stuff. The fresher the better. Feel free to PM me anytime about it. Always welcome to  help!
Thanks, just PM'd you. I agree: grinding a pork shoulder or a chuck roast yourself is always the best way to go. Nothing like homemade burger mix. I don't do it that often because of time constraints AND the clean up involved afterwards.

Another goal of mine is to grind my own burger mix out of brisket and boneless beef short ribs. But about those short ribs: they're cut from the chuck; my wife made a slow cooked dish from those short ribs and I couldn't taste the difference between short ribs and boneless chuck pot roast.

Chef Willie, I disagree with you and your statement "and for some strange reasonpeople keep buying them" is totally unfair. It's great that some people can afford SI smokers. I've looked at those SI prices but I sure can't afford one. I bought a MES 30 Gen 1 because it was both a great smoker AND affordable. I've gotten some great tips on smoking with it in these groups and after buying the AMNPS I've gotten better each time. My MES is as good as I'd hoped it would be. Oh, if you check out SI reviews you'll see that they have their own problems.

Got the new controller and she's doing just as you said, when first plugged in over shoots target temp but then comes on back down. Seasoned it a couple nights ago and now making smoked meat loaf. Temps are holding between 172-178 on controller so we're doing good. I will clean the back after every smoke and thanks for the heads up.  :)
172°-178° is a little low to be smoking uncured ground meat, unless I'm missing something.

I'd go with 225° at least. Should get the IT above 140° in no less than 4 hours.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky