March headcheese and organ sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atomicsmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 3, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Decided to make the most of the unseasonal cold weather - picked up 1/2 pig from my farmer.

Interesting pig, half comes with whole head

Noticed these beautiful cheeks...

Those won't go into the pot...Saved for later

Sawed the head to fit into the pot...Took the brains out

Quick boil , dumped the water, then started cooking with black pepper, bay, garlic and juniper berries. Will take a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr t 59874
I am all about not wasting MUCH on a 
36.gif
. I also realise Rufus likes Pork too so he enjoys a lot of the stuff I refuse to put in my mouth.
laugh1.gif
 I am very thankful times are not as tough, like back in the old day's when the only thing that went to waste on a
36.gif
 was the squeal! LOL

I grew up with relatives who always talked about hard times in the old days of homesteading out here in the Badlands of the Dakota's. Some also have talked about rounding up cattle with Roosevelt back in the day to which is all very plausible given the truth behind a lot of their other Homesteading Stories. Anyway  

I think I draw the line at a few things like chasing a stuck
36.gif
 around in the pen with a bucket so you could make Blood Sausage after, LMAO !  Yeah times aren't that TOUGH sorry !

I have always wanted to try and make my own hog casings tho and I do like to pickle the heart, after that if it can't be rendered down, Rufus and the Feral cats eat high on the 
36.gif
!

I am curious in following your post. 
Looks-Great.gif

Please quit posting headcheese.

I am gonna have to get my neighbors pigs. Lol

Words simply cannot describe how wonderful that looks. Love those who go beyond the everyday cooks. Your effort, combined with an excellent post deserves a point.

I agree with your take on sweet breads, they are expensive, but we have to treat ourselves from time to time, it takes the boredom out of life, and gives us something to look forward too.

T

All of that looks so good!  

When my son was in town we wanted to make this, but ran out of time with all of the other chores.

Will be trying it soon!

Pointing for the "cheese"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky