Smoked Birria & other Stuff

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I’ve been been a bit slow lately, life has gone and become hectic again. However, I have become fascinated with Birria Tacos on YouTube thanks to BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma last September with his beef cheek Birria followed up by Oxtail. They looked incredible and I had a chance to try some on a work trip to SD last fall too. Ringer Ringer tipped me over the edge with his TT cook! So, with Father’s Day this weekend I decided I would spend the time giving it a go! Of course I had to make it more difficult by trying to do a beef bone Birria consume first, I don’t think it was worth the effort, next time I’ll do straight up mole onto the beef with a few soup bones in the braise instead. I also did a few other things just in case I failed! Lots of different ways to do these, I read here and other places and then smashed together my own way. So, here’s what I did!
Started on Saturday morning with about 10#s of soup bones plus some trimmed fat
10 dried ancho chiles
10 dried Gualillo chiles
5 dried passila chilies
4 chipotles in adobo sauce
1 cinnamon stick
2 tblspn coriander seeds
2 tblspn black peppercorn whole
8 allspice berries
4 whole cloves
8 bay leaves
3 tblspn Mexican oregano
3 tablspn dry thyme
Two yellow onions
2 inch crushed peeled ginger
10 Roma tomatoes
Whole garlic clove smashed nd peeled.
1/4 cup or so Cider vinegar

I par boiled bones first to get rid of some impurities for about 15 or 30 min. Then dried and put on cookie sheet with onions, tomatoes, garlic and stick them in a 400 degree oven until they started to char.
A71B36BA-FD32-401B-BCC9-C6DC1D3617B2.jpeg

3E2E02C6-37F1-48FD-9670-0FC95A0516ED.jpeg

While those were in the oven I put the dry seasoning in a hot skillet and stirred until fragrant and oils were activated. Pulled the bones n stuff out and dumped in a big stock pot with warm water, being sure all submerged, and brought to a boil, dumping in dry ingredients. Same skillet I used to heat the dry ingredients I added the dry peppers after de seed and de stem. I worked in batches until puffing or slight char, then added them to the stock pot. Brought to a simmer for 14 hrs.
27BBAAE6-992C-41E6-9375-97EFC7AB54F2.jpeg

When it was time for bed I let it cool, covered and stuck in the fridge. Then trimmed, chunked, and salted the beef Chuck for smoking the next morning. Once I was up from young kids who don’t understand why dad would want to sleep in, I got the smoker going at 275 and put the stock pot back on for a few more hours of simmering. Put the Chuck on with smoke tube and drip pan.
8DA8F84C-A215-4087-A23E-E362EA1BAA9A.jpeg
D3567BC2-D47A-4776-85AF-41A81DD1493B.jpeg

I didn’t go by IT, just wanted some smoke and a little bit of milliard love, cranked heat up to 350 last little bit. Then pulled bones and bay leaves out of brooth and went to town with the immersion blender.
57838688-298F-4933-9770-FEC06CEABAFB.jpeg
7F02C8BD-0A93-40A0-BD33-64274C61B646.jpeg

013F5FD2-EE69-4FB5-8CF3-FEFC0E08C7DA.jpeg

At this point I tested the taste and started adjusting…. Didn’t write down though🙁 few more splashes of vinegar, some canned tomato, more chipotle sauce, salt, etc. sorry. Going with bone broth first made this the hard part. But, came out good, then pulled off chuck from smoker, placed in dripping pan and covered in the chili bone broth, banana leaves, and foil. Also did a Dutch oven version too.
E47401A1-C6EF-4F3D-A1FB-BD332612C5B4.jpeg
F6BA10E4-41FE-4209-95FB-A4DF6E12BCB7.jpeg
F0CD1BB9-3605-4D5B-88D5-6B9A3DA5D594.jpeg

Put them back on a 300 degree smoker for about 3 hrs, beer and conversation distracted me on timing. Cranked up to 350 last hour or so. Meanwhile got some NY steaks seasoned and made some drunken maitake mushrooms.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
1 shallot, finely diced
16 ounces whole mushrooms, white, brown or Portobello
2 cups beer (dark ale)
1 cup beef stock or broth
2 tablespoons steak sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a small pot, melt the butter. Add garlic and shallots and sauté for 2-3 minutes until barely softened. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes, until they develop some "brown" caramelization on them.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the beer and beef stock/broth and simmer for about 15-20 minutes, until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Add steak sauce and Worcestershire sauce, stir to combine. Allow to simmer for an additional 5 minutes until the liquid is thick like a glaze.

Then some Jalapeño poppers using creama Salvadoran instead of cream cheese:
019AF389-5663-4760-9EFA-8AC868A1148D.jpeg

When the Chuck was falling apart I pulled them off and threw the poppers on. Once they were finished I dropped heat to 240 and did the steaks tx smoker tx smoker style😃 While steaks we’re going I shredded the beef, strained the broth, and started cooking the tacos, dipped good corn tortillas from local Mexican Mercado in the broth fat and into hot skillet, followed by Oaxaca Queso and meat, then a bit of sauce and lime. Fold over adding a bit more of the broth fat.
C026F536-4CC3-48CF-BA01-09240474C2A6.jpeg
AE466B9D-30C6-4B04-9227-5B2F391AF4CB.jpeg

55AA8644-6344-48BD-ADEB-18381FB6389A.jpeg
2A665820-D2BE-4E83-9160-05F96C565428.jpeg
58051D33-3A6E-4C94-A62C-7C3FAFEA4402.jpeg
8D409A16-8FFC-4ADA-A089-C3A453F2D659.jpeg

When I had a bunch of these, chopped onion for topping, served with broth for dipping!

Also had the steaks topped with drunken maitake shrooms and creama poppers for a different bit to pick at with the beers!
9F612766-AB2A-459E-B359-A1F0EC781F1E.jpeg
1F39AAE9-51A8-4B32-9B06-0AE4AA2ABFC6.jpeg
71918884-5A80-4E87-8986-BD7D9E37DA05.jpeg

The hard work paid off on these Birria! I had a ton leftover to share with the neighbors🤣 taco for beer🤣 next time I’ll skip the bone broth step. These were so rich and had a huge amount of flavor!
76D99CE3-C85C-4F12-9E06-7D1C1BAEC0E0.jpeg

What a great meal and day! I felt very loved, happy, a bit buzzed, and full!

Thank you for your time!

Attachments

• 11409C86-5359-4087-8DEC-BD6C465C222F.jpeg
    11409C86-5359-4087-8DEC-BD6C465C222F.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 2C532159-606A-44E6-9C29-779BB47ECEDD.jpeg
    2C532159-606A-44E6-9C29-779BB47ECEDD.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
That looks fantastic man! I love those kind of tacos. If you want another rabbit hole to go down, start looking Mexican seafood dishes. Both grilled and other methods of prep.

Most people don't realize that Mexica is encased by oceans on 2 sides so they have plenty of seafood dishes that are amazing that folks never see :)

Reactions: bauchjw
WOW!! What a Herculean effort for a truly amazing meal. That whole meal looks nothing short of perfection. A magazine quality, 5-star effort. Very well done Jed and one can only imagine the world class flavors you developed with all the time and all the steps you went through. Outstanding work!!

Robert

Wow is all I can say ,Jed! That is nothing short of amazing. I'm certain with the time and effort you put in this tasted phenomenal. It looks out of this world and I hope I can try this one day. You really hit it out of the park with this one man. Excellent work!

Jed thank you for your process, and the twists and turns on the recipe. Good on you for
doing it the way you feel and taste as you go along.
It all looks perfect, and I would love to sit at the table with you and throw a few of those down my neck, lol

David

That looks fantastic man! I love those kind of tacos. If you want another rabbit hole to go down, start looking Mexican seafood dishes. Both grilled and other methods of prep.

Most people don't realize that Mexica is encased by oceans on 2 sides so they have plenty of seafood dishes that are amazing that folks never see :)
Thank you! Yes, they’re delicious! I’ll definitely look into that rabbit hole, I picked up a cook book “Mi Cocina” with a lot of great info and history. I’ve surfed up and down Baja with amazing memories and traveled to the Mexican gulf coast a few times from Yuma. Always had amazing food too, especially seafood, but never really found a lot of recipes. This book is legit and is helping me regarded some memories😃 Thank you for your time!
WOW!! What a Herculean effort for a truly amazing meal. That whole meal looks nothing short of perfection. A magazine quality, 5-star effort. Very well done Jed and one can only imagine the world class flavors you developed with all the time and all the steps you went through. Outstanding work!!

Robert
Thank you Robert! As always, you and others here help to inspire! It was a lot of fun, sipping beers through the cook and trying to be creative!
Wow is all I can say ,Jed! That is nothing short of amazing. I'm certain with the time and effort you put in this tasted phenomenal. It looks out of this world and I hope I can try this one day. You really hit it out of the park with this one man. Excellent work!
Thank you Ringer! You tipped me over to doing it with that incredible TT cook! I highly recommend giving a version a go. I don’t think this technique was worth it, but very flavorful! The bone broth addition was a bit much, but man the end result was awesome. Thank you for giving me that nudge, great work!
That's a great meal . One of my favorites .
Thank you Chop! I appreciate your time and compliment. Because I’m a glutton for punishment I’ll need to get that tortilla press soon!

Reactions: tallbm and Ringer
I seriously started drooling when I saw and read this. Holy cow! This is crazy amazing. It looks so rich and flavor-filled.
Thank you Sven! It was super rich! As I’ve said the bone broth was a bit too much🤣 I appreciate your time! Really worth a shot, but need good quality tortillas!
Delicious, way more energy then I could have put it. I could eat a bunch of those.
🤣Thank you! It was a lot of energy, but the beer helped! Your welcome anytime!
You nailed that, those look as good as any I've ever seen. The whole process can be a little messy and once I started cooking them on my camp stove.... I never looked back.
View attachment 635362
Thank you Sir! I really appreciate it. I have the flattop coming in July, can’t wait to give it a go on that. Yours look incredible. Did you do them on a smoker? I’d be curious how you went about making them. I’m going to do it again and make some adjustments soon.
I would eat till i was sick! And love every bite.
Jim
🤣Thank you Jim! We nearly did eat until we were sick🤣 I appreciate your time!

Yup, them is money tacos. We love them. Drop that bone broth and just do the red Chile sauce like I do. Super delicious and cuts many steps out of the cook. Nice work Bud. Big like.

Damn! You even made me tired with all you had going on! But you smashed it out of the park! Can imagine the aroma and flavors coming from that cook!

P.S. Glad us enablers can still help you out! Look forward to some Blackstone cooks from you!

Ryan

• Haha
Holy smokes Jed. That all looks amazing! What an effort. You guys are killing me I need to get on trying this out. Can just imagine the flavors you got. Big LIKE!

Thank you Sir! I really appreciate it. I have the flattop coming in July, can’t wait to give it a go on that. Yours look incredible. Did you do them on a smoker? I’d be curious how you went about making them. I’m going to do it again and make some adjustments soon.
I've used beef cheeks in the past, and really like the richness and texture. HERE is a batch where I used short ribs.

Boy howdy Jed, I'd stand in line for a couple of your tacos! Just an incredible amount of work you put into that cook, nice job! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky