Maple Chipotle Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I was eating some of my Maple Bacon for breakfast. I opened an email from my niece telling me how much she liked some Chipotle Bacon I had made for her. As with most smokers, my brain short circuited and I knew I had to make Maple Chipotle Bacon.

I went for back bacon (Canadian bacon to the uneducated Americans) because pork loins were cheap. I weighed the pork loin and reduced the brown sugar in my usual dry cure.

For each kilogram of meat I used 15 ml of brown sugar, 15 ml of kosher salt and 3 grams (2.2 ml) of Prague powder #1.

For those who are metrically challenged, that works out to, per pound of pork, 1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and 0.048 ounces (1/5 teaspoon) Prague powder #1.

I put the meat on a large plate to catch any maple syrup that squirts out and any rub that falls of. For each kilogram of meat, I injected 25 ml of maple syrup every inch or so. That is 1 tablespoon of maple syrup per pound.
Maple Chipotle Bacon1.jpg

I rubbed the cure mixture into the pork. I put the pork into a vacuum seal bag and scraped all the rub and syrup from the plate to the bag. I sealed it but did not suck the air out.

Maple Chipotle Bacon2.jpg

I use 4 days for every inch of pork plus 2 days for curing. This was 2 1/2 inches thick so I put it in the fridge for 12 days, turning and rubbing every day or so.

I rinsed it and soaked in cold water for 1 hour, changing the water once. I put it on a rack and patted it dry with paper towel.

Maple Chipotle Bacon3.jpg

For every kilogram, I rubbed 15 ml of chipotle on the pork (for every pound, 1 1/2 teaspoons).

Maple Chipotle Bacon4.jpg

I smoked at 180 F to an internal temperature of 155 F. I let it cool and put it in the fridge overnight.

I sliced it up and gave it a fry.

Maple Chipotle Bacon5.jpg

Maple Chipotle Bacon6.jpg

Maple Chipotle Bacon7.jpg

The Verdict
This is definitely a new recipe I will make again. The sweet of the maple syrup and the heat of the chipotle just go together so well!

Disco

Yours looks good. Nothing uneducated about it! It's practicality. " Hey Maaaw, what kind a meat is this? " " It's Pea Meal Bacon honey." " IT'S WHAT??? I AIN'T EATEN NUTHIN' WHAT BEEN PEED ON!! " Sit down and eat! It's Canadian and you'll like. " " Why didn't you just say it was CANADIAN BACON from the git go! " " Fine, just shut up and eat. "...JJ

Reactions: disco and pc farmer
My that looks good Disco, Nice Job.

Point for sure.
Chris

Nice job Disco. This uneducated American will make some "Canuck" bacon. I think they should be teaching the Metric system. We use it a everyday in Manufacturing

Yours looks good. Nothing uneducated about it! It's practicality. " Hey Maaaw, what kind a meat is this? " " It's Pea Meal Bacon honey." " IT'S WHAT??? I AIN'T EATEN NUTHIN' WHAT BEEN PEED ON!! " Sit down and eat! It's Canadian and you'll like. " " Why didn't you just say it was CANADIAN BACON from the git go! " " Fine, just shut up and eat. "...JJ
I should have known there was a logical reason!

Nice job Disco. This uneducated American will make some "Canuck" bacon. I think they should be teaching the Metric system. We use it a everyday in Manufacturing
Thanks, Joe. I live in the worst of all worlds. I was raised with pounds and quarts and they changed in Canada. However not everything. Weather is reported in centigrade. Recipes use Fahrenheit. Distances are in kilometers except the golf course which is in yards. Sigh. I am old and get confused easily.

Reactions: Medina Joe
I was eating some of my Maple Bacon for breakfast. I opened an email from my niece telling me how much she liked some Chipotle Bacon I had made for her. As with most smokers, my brain short circuited and I knew I had to make Maple Chipotle Bacon.

I went for back bacon (Canadian bacon to the uneducated Americans) because pork loins were cheap. I weighed the pork loin and reduced the brown sugar in my usual dry cure.

For each kilogram of meat I used 15 ml of brown sugar, 15 ml of kosher salt and 3 grams (2.2 ml) of Prague powder #1.

For those who are metrically challenged, that works out to, per pound of pork, 1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt and 0.048 ounces (1/5 teaspoon) Prague powder #1.

I put the meat on a large plate to catch any maple syrup that squirts out and any rub that falls of. For each kilogram of meat, I injected 25 ml of maple syrup every inch or so. That is 1 tablespoon of maple syrup per pound.View attachment 377867

I rubbed the cure mixture into the pork. I put the pork into a vacuum seal bag and scraped all the rub and syrup from the plate to the bag. I sealed it but did not suck the air out.

View attachment 377869
I use 4 days for every inch of pork plus 2 days for curing. This was 2 1/2 inches thick so I put it in the fridge for 12 days, turning and rubbing every day or so.

I rinsed it and soaked in cold water for 1 hour, changing the water once. I put it on a rack and patted it dry with paper towel.

View attachment 377870

For every kilogram, I rubbed 15 ml of chipotle on the pork (for every pound, 1 1/2 teaspoons).

View attachment 377871

I smoked at 180 F to an internal temperature of 155 F. I let it cool and put it in the fridge overnight.

I sliced it up and gave it a fry.

View attachment 377872
View attachment 377873
View attachment 377874
The Verdict
This is definitely a new recipe I will make again. The sweet of the maple syrup and the heat of the chipotle just go together so well!

Disco

Disco,

Really appreciate the tutorial on this... Love the "short circuit" part, I think many of us have that, I know I do..... I will be trying this here soon once my pork loin thaws, forgot I had one in the freezer. It's only 3.05 Lbs but got to start somewhere. Also appreciate the breakdown to US tsp, tbs, and lbs for us uneducated Americans who never really learned metric, kilograms, etc.....

Thanks,
Tony

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky