Making Macaroni & Cheese and Creamy Coleslaw ahead of time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DonP

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I'm going to smoke some Mac and Cheese ahead of time and reheat for a party. It will be topped with Panko Bread crumbs.

Would it be better to not add the bread crumbs until it's time to reheat?

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
I would get the M&C good and warm before putting the Panko on so it sticks.
Don't think you want it just loose on top.
Then either put it under the oven broiler to brown top a bit, or use a propane torch to add a little color to the top.
Crumbled bacon is also good on top.

Reactions: DonP and jcam222
I would get the M&C good and warm before putting the Panko on so it sticks.
Don't think you want it just loose on top.
Then either put it under the oven broiler to brown top a bit, or use a propane torch to add a little color to the top.
Crumbled bacon is also good on top.
That sounds like a good plan.
Warm > Add Crumbs > Broil

Any tips on making a creamy coleslaw ahead of time? I'd like to make it 2 or 3 days ahead. But that's not sounding like a good idea. I'll probably make it the day before the party.

Any tips on making a creamy coleslaw ahead of time? I'd like to make it 2 or 3 days ahead. But that's not sounding like a good idea. I'll probably make it the day before the party.
Chop your cabbage ,carrots etc and store tightly in the fridge . Make up your sauce BUT don't add it to the veggies until you're ready to serve. We have coleslaw( no sauuce) in the fridge for 3-4 days and add a bit of sauce every night to the portion we are eating for dinner.

I’m on the other end of the spectrum. We like to make the coleslaw in the morning for dinner. During the day the flavors really meld together. We like really creamy coleslaw with crunchy cabbage.
Al

I'm with Al... mix in the morning for supper ( or dinner as some call it) or most times the day before

Ryan

Cutting veggies ahead of time and adding the sauce the morning of the event sounds like the way to go.

Thanks everyone.

Cutting veggies ahead of time and adding the sauce the morning of the event sounds like the way to go.

Thanks everyone.
Yep that is my method.

I'm going to smoke some Mac and Cheese ahead of time and reheat for a party. It will be topped with Panko Bread crumbs.

Would it be better to not add the bread crumbs until it's time to reheat?
I don't use any topping on my mac-n-cheese. I stir the pan a couple times during the smoke to blend the flavor and prevent drying out.
I reheat in the same pan and foil wrapped.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky