1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Making Jarlsberg Style cheeses

Discussion in 'Cheese Making' started by daveomak, May 15, 2018.

1. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

As far as i know the Jarlsberg process is a closely guarded trade secret. However the Norwegians have licensed other countries to produce Jarlsberg including US.

That is one sweet cheese: fresh, smoked, aged. I just remember i have sone smoked in the fridge.

2. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I smoked some a few years ago... It is my favorite...

3. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I am not a fan of "style" foods.

Jarlsberg style....is not Jarlsberg. Same as sparkling wine is not champagne.
    Or one of my experiments with wine - got an expensive wine kit, juice imported from the region where the wine i like comes from. Made a drinkable wine but nothing like the one i love (despite all the claims from the dealer or producer).

I don't think i saw a cheese i didnt like....but if i want Jarlsberg i will go for the real thing.

4. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Well since the newbie came on with the cheese making tutorial. I have all kinds of thoughts running through my head. I think the first stop will be the SausageMaker, they have an array of cheese making equipment. I'm guessing the first thing I need is a cheese press!
    Al

5. daveomak

6. Al,

You can make a cheese press for not a lot of money. Google "off the wall cheese press" or if you have weights at home simply putting the right amount of weigh on top of the cheese mold follower is more than adequate.

Once the press is made fill the jug with water and when a desired pressure is shown (10lbs, 40,lbs, 50lbs etc) on the scale note the water level in the jug. For heavier weights you may need to add a jug or make the beam longer.

For a cheese mold lots of folks use a piece of 6" PVC 6 inches tall with a bunch of 1/8th inch drain holes drilled into it. For the follower a piece of old cutting board or thicke plastic will work.

IMG_1540.jpg

7. jhend

jhend Smoke Blower

Hey Dave how did the Jarlsberg turn out? I have made many cheeses but no Jarlsberg as of yet.

John

8. daveomak

I haven't gone there yet.... Too much other stuff on my plate or, procrastination... pick one...

jhend likes this.