major bummer.. 4th, prepped a pork shoulder to smoke.. and theeeeeeen.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wtf808

Original poster
May 18, 2020
got all excited for the weekend.. anticipating sat morning all week...

got me fresh new bags of LBJ 100% Apple.. ..
nice ol 9# Pork Shoulder..
rub all ready to go..
woke up at 5am to get it all going..
filled up my LG7 Vertical with pellets..
plugged her in...
and SLAP TO THE FACE. :emoji_dizzy_face:

ugh.png

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
So I take it the controller display is kaput? Will it function at all and just the DISPLAY, or more serious with the controller?

yea kaput.. i tried to wing it with my external thermoworks it hoping it was just the display, but the unit wouldnt regulate the temps.. it kept climbing no matter what I set it to.. it got up to 500 deg and i called it :emoji_cold_sweat:. LG is sending a new board soon. Hope its a one time thing but they say I have a 5 yr warranty. Ugh.

Dansons has great customer service and the 5yr warranty on LG and Pitboss is wonderful. They'll have you smoking again in no time!

Reactions: wtf808
Yea, that sure bites. What was plan B for the 4th, oven then ? I do have a couple smokers so I am covered on that end.
Hope they get ya roll'n again soon.

Reactions: JC in GB and wtf808
yea, plan B(usted) was to grumble and use the oven and tell friends, no smoke taste.. lol. i guess i got confident it was gonna be solid since i've only smoked 4 times since i got it in June and they were all great.. lesson learned :p

got all excited for the weekend.. anticipating sat morning all week...

got me fresh new bags of LBJ 100% Apple.. ..
nice ol 9# Pork Shoulder..
rub all ready to go..
woke up at 5am to get it all going..
filled up my LG7 Vertical with pellets..
plugged her in...
and SLAP TO THE FACE. :emoji_dizzy_face:

View attachment 452794

This will be just what I need to show the wife as to why I need a second smoker.

Your sorrow may be my success! :emoji_laughing:

Hope you get that working quickly....

JC :emoji_cat:

That sucks. After 2 months of replacement parts from Pit Boss. They decided to give me a RA letter for Walmart to accept the return. My unit just would not do anything close for temps at all. That board is the same one they use for almost all the new PB units..

That kind of failure can ruin your day. The backup smoker is a good idea. I keep a good quality Spanish Smoked Paprika and Liquid Smoke on hand for just such Emergencies. It's not 12 hours Low and Slow but they will fool company...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky