Made my first meatloaf -WOW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyrb

Original poster
Oct 29, 2018
Since I can't eat brisket every day, well actually I CAN but I shouldn't, I made an incredible meatloaf. This is the best thing I've never had before. I didn't really have much of a plan when I started, but I would say it came out a solid 9!

To save some calories, i used 1 1/2 lbs of beef mixed with 1 1/2 lbs turkey and mixed in about 1/4 lb of chopped bacon. To the meat I added in panko breadcrumbs, celery salt, Kosher salt, lots of garlic, eggs, black pepper, chipotle pepper a coarsely chopped onion, some shredded mozz cheese and some bbq sauce. Smoked it with oak at around 250 degrees for around 2 hrs. until it reached 145 (IT), then I glazed it with some more sauce and removed the loaf when it reached 164. THat took an additional 25 mins or so. Served it with a dab of bbq sauce on top. I don't like overly sweet food so I went very light on the sauce, but in truth, it could have used a bit more.

I have never enjoyed a meatloaf as much as this and the house still smells amazing!

20190612_185311.jpg
20190612_185523.jpg
20190612_185636.jpg
20190612_185323.jpg

Nice looking loaf, I'm about due to make another.

Point for sure
Chris

Excellent job. Wife was skeptical when I first suggested smoking a meatloaf. Now she won't have it any other way.

Never in my life would I dream of smoking meatloaf..... and now I wish I had this in my life!
My husband will probably think I'm nuts for starting up the smoker just for a meatloaf....but if it's as good as you say it is, then he will see the light!! :)

I've never done one that wasn't in a loaf pan either, but I see yours held it's shape pretty well. Will be keeping this idea in the back of my mind until it's time for meatloaf.

"To save some calories, i used 1 1/2 lbs of beef mixed with 1 1/2 lbs turkey and mixed in about 1/4 lb of chopped bacon." I like your style but think you defeated your purpose... in a tasty way!

Kudos on the cook.

Barry.

Last edited:
Outstanding looking loaf, Johnny! I use a mix of beef, turkey, and pork, so with a loaf, ANYTHING GOES! All your ingredients tasted great in my mental serving. LIKE!

I've never done one that wasn't in a loaf pan either, but I see yours held it's shape pretty well. Will be keeping this idea in the back of my mind until it's time for meatloaf.

I shape a loaf in a 9"x13"x3" aluminum pan and leave about a half inch to an inch around all sides, depending how much meat I'm using (usually between 4-5 lbs). Makes it easy to transport to and from the smoker, gets plenty of smoke, and I can use the drippings that ooze out of the loaf for flavoring another dish, gravy, etc.

Very nice!

Can't beat meatloaf smoked. It's hard to go back to regular meatloaf after that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky