Made my 1st KIELBASA (long)...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
They're in the smoker (had a couple of issues come up and I just got to it today)...

Thoughts SO FAR...

Gonna have to forget about a pellet tube right now (it will NOT stay lit with charcoal burning...lit w/a torch, let it burn for a few min, blew it out, had a good cherry...still went out within 10 mins after I put the lid on the smoker. I ended up putting on a couple of pcs of oak just touching the edge of the charcoal...smoking fine now!

Unless I'm EXCEPTIONALLY impatient (and there's a pretty good chance that I am), 4 lit coals only got the smoker to 108. Added 6 UN-lit coals on the top of those and temp went to 231. Started closing bottom vents and it stabilized at 220. I put the kielbasa on at this point.

Still wanted the temp below 200, so I put the water pan back in and am waiting for it to stabilize again. Once it does, I'll check the coals about once an hour and toss in another one or two as needed...I think!

Will update later.

This is EXHAUSTING! :eek:

I smoked only 7 + the runt (I ate the runt!) and put the rest in the freezer for grilling...here they are:

kielbasa1 copy.png

Finally figured out how to get the temp below 200 and hold it there...

fire up with 8 coals, stabilize
use vents to bring down the temp, stabilize
add two chunks of oak just touching the edges of the coals, add the sausages, stabilize
check coals "about" every 45 minutes, add briquettes if necessary, adjust wood chunks

Total time in the smoker was 3 hours and 55 minutes, internal temp was 145F, finished in water bath to 165F.

The smoke flavor is spot on and the sausage IS good, but the RECIPE might be a bit too "garlicky". Next time, I'll cut back just a bit on the garlic (recipe called for 3 tablespoons...will use 2 next time).

Gonna let them sit 24 hours in the fridge before making "final" determination, though...the flavors will probably blend/mellow a bit by then.

All in all, I think this was a success.

Thanks for listening and all your help!

Looks great. This Polish guy could put a big dent in that pile. A couple of thoughts. 30 minutes to do 5 pounds? A dedicated Stuffer and some practice will bang out 5 pound in 30 Seconds! Worth the $100 investment.
4 to 140 in 4? You can virtually forget about it. Thanks Cure covers you for Botulinum and even starting at 130 and bumping every hour, the small diameter of the sausage will get Pasteurized in well under 4 hours.
Heat to IT of 145 the water bath to an IT of 165? You might double check the instructions. With Cured Sausage 150+/- is the goal using a 165 Water Bath to get there. This is because we want the smoker/cooking temp to be No Higher than 170°F to avoid Fat melting out. There is no good reason to get the IT to 165 and you can be risking ending up with dry Sausage or an undesirable Stingy texture...JJ

Reactions: SherryT
Looks great. This Polish guy could put a big dent in that pile. A couple of thoughts. 30 minutes to do 5 pounds? A dedicated Stuffer and some practice will bang out 5 pound in 30 Seconds! Worth the $100 investment.
4 to 140 in 4? You can virtually forget about it. Thanks Cure covers you for Botulinum and even starting at 130 and bumping every hour, the small diameter of the sausage will get Pasteurized in well under 4 hours.
Heat to IT of 145 the water bath to an IT of 165? You might double check the instructions. With Cured Sausage 150+/- is the goal using a 165 Water Bath to get there. This is because we want the smoker/cooking temp to be No Higher than 170°F to avoid Fat melting out. There is no good reason to get the IT to 165 and you can be risking ending up with dry Sausage or an undesirable Stingy texture...JJ

The instructions said the "water bath" should be 165F to bring the IT of the "sausage" up to 145...sorry if I was unclear.

As for the dedicated stuffer doing 5lbs in 30 seconds...I was just happy that I got it done! :D

I do plan on getting a grinder, stuffer, AND a slicer over the next 3 - 4 months...just gotta wait for the extra kale, KWIM?

Yep! Took years to get all the toys together. Kussed and Fussed with that POS KA Grinder for a couple of years until I was able to get my Account aka Wife to release the funds...JJ

Nice Job. Takes a couple times to get temp control down with a charcoal smoker and doing sausage. Even then you will still run across temp highs/lows. If you don't have one I would recommend a remote 2 probe(like a maverick) thermometer and also an instant read pen type. You will use them for more than just smoking sausages.

Well...damn!

Figured out why they're too garlicky...recipe called for 2 tbsp of garlic powder (which I still think is too much, BTW), but I added 3 (picked up the "3" in the next ingredient amount). I guess that'll teach me to wear my glasses when reading a recipe from now on! Next time I make it, I'll start with 1 TEASPOON of garlic powder, DO A FRY TEST, and then add more if needed.

Anyway, after letting it set for 24 hours, I'm not digging the flavor AT ALL...I simply cannot eat it (the smoke is fine, but the garlic is so over-powering it's almost like biting into a raw clove!), so Jake the German Shepherd's gonna have himself some smoked kielbasa with each meal for the next few days.

I have NO idea if the raw links I froze will fare any better on the grill...we'll see.

Oh well...we live, we learn. :D

The garlic flavor diminishes over time in the freezer. Another option is, instead of grilling or frying, go Old School and simmer the Kielbasa with Sauerkraut. This too will reduce the garlics intensity. Kielbasa can be substituted in any recipe the calls for Andouille or Smoked Sausage, including Beans and Greens...JJ

Reactions: SherryT and chopsaw
Sherry The sausage looks good!! You can add pellets to the edge of the burning coals for smoke.I used a Jerky Cannon for years stuffing all my sausages.Points for a first
Richie

To much garlic no problem you could over night them to me. Love that garlic and I do actually eat raw cloves of garlic. I keep a jar of pickled garlic in the frig just to snack on.

Warren

Glad you got some good out of the deal. Looks really good. Glad you could get some knowledge regulating the ECM too. :)
€l Cheapo Masterbuilt.

I think the lessons I learned from it will be indispensable going forward...like I said, I still consider it a success.

Gonna try what chefjimmyj suggested with some of those I froze raw...I still have 6 quarts sauerkraut left that I put up last year, so there's that!

Gonna try what chefjimmyj suggested with some of those I froze raw...I still have 6 quarts sauerkraut left that I put up last year, so there's that![/QUOTE]

I usually add a Bay leaf and sliced onion to my sauerkraut. Adds lots of flavor...JJ

You could cure some brisket and make corned beef. Make rubens :D country ribs n sauerkraut

Nooooooooooooo...not just yet! Still too new to this to take the chance of screwing up a $50 chunk of meat (priced them last week at WM...YOWZA!!!).

Gonna try what chefjimmyj suggested with some of those I froze raw...I still have 6 quarts sauerkraut left that I put up last year, so there's that!

I usually add a Bay leaf and sliced onion to my sauerkraut. Adds lots of flavor...JJ[/QUOTE]

I simmered 4 of the frozen raw links with kraut for supper...MUCH less-pronounced garlic flavor. It was pretty good that way, so all is not lost...whew!

Never heard of using bay leaf in kraut, but I did toss in about 1/2 tsp of caraway seeds, though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky