Lump or Brickettes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

E's Smokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
I just picked up a few bags of Royal Oak that was on sale at Lowes, they were brickettes, when I got home the other bag of Royal Oak that I picked up last week was lump
Which is better for seasoning the smoker,( hopefully this weekend )

Thanks
E

I use lump for my grill, cause it will burn hotter.
And I use briquettes to get a coal bed going in my offset.
But as said above either will work for seasoning a smoker, and any wood will work too.
But I'm partial to hickory & oak.
Al

image.jpeg
I like my own homemade stuff

I like to use briq's for grilling, starting my stick burner(then all wood) or cold smoking in my WSM. if I'm hot smoking in the WSM i like lump. I would use lump to start the stick burner but the wally world brand ridge line birqs are $4.92/16# so since its not a flavor thing i just use a little of that to start the smoker.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I like to use brickettes for cooking just because there easier for me to control the temps and seem to last longer. For seasoning it doesn't matter whichever you have on hand or is cheaper to buy.

Chris

Lump is my go to for seasoning a new smoker. I use Cowboy Brand.
As far as cooking goes. I start a cook with white hot Kingsford and add the lump to get the temp I'm shooting for.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky