Low tech holding "oven" ideas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chasdev

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 18, 2020
Any ideas for inexpensive holding "ovens" out there?
I'm in the hot brick wrapped in towels inside a cooler mindset, but what do folks do where a low temp oven is not in the equation?
Add a wet towel wrapped around the brick perhaps?

A cooler filled with towels will hold brisket or pork but for a long while. Recently heard a cooler can also be used to keep Thanksgiving sides hot if you need the extra space.

take those towels and soak them with boiling water.. then put them in the cooler obviously use gloves and you can hold for well over 8 hours

Reactions: zwiller
take those towels and soak them with boiling water.. then put them in the cooler obviously use gloves and you can hold for well over 8 hours
+1 If you preheat the cooler it holds much longer. I would probably put a few G of water on the stove and dump in and let it rest a half hour then dump out. Proceed with towel wrapped protein. Somewhat overlooked but simply use an electric smoker. Wrap with foil and set to temp. Heck I'd get one for $50 on FB marketplace for that alone if I didn't have one.

I've used a cheap turkey roaster to hold briskets. They have as simple dial thermostat, and you can usually dial them into 140 to 150. You have to calibrate it with a thermometer so it's kind of a pain. My oven can be calibrated down to 150 as well.

Reactions: JLeonard
I'm using a cheapish electric smoker - got a brisket I smoked yesterday in it now. I tried to find a used one and was prepared to buy one with bad controls to convert to PID, but got impatient and bought an 40" MB digital smoker on sale at academy sports.

Reactions: mike243
A guy I know took a mini fridge not working and rewired and used a 100w bulb. Not sure if it had a stat or not

Any ideas for inexpensive holding "ovens" out there?
Tabletop roaster for me too. These units have what is called a "circle of heat" meaning the heating coils are on the sides and ends of the roaster, and not the bottom. This makes for very even heating.
1bnZrdi.jpg

M3W5cGY.jpg

Tabletop roaster for me too. These units have what is called a "circle of heat" meaning the heating coils are on the sides and ends of the roaster, and not the bottom. This makes for very even heating.
Good to know. Where do you prefer your "pit" probe? How stable are the temps? I could hook mine up to my Auber but like to KISS.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky