Pork butt towel wrap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pigfarmin101

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2023
Idaho
Hey all! I’m gonna do a big get together and cook for like 35 people this weekend and I have a question about the towel wrap method for holding serving temp on a pork butt. I may need to be done with my pork butts 5 hours ahead of time so I can get other things on my smoker. I know of the towel method in a cooler which works great, but I was wondering if you can put a pork butt in the oven and place temp of the oven at 140 to hold that serving temp without cooking it any further, rather than the towel wrap? I’m not for sure but I don’t think the towel wrap would hold it for five hours

Reactions: JLeonard
Have not done it, but I would think you would want to wrap with foil to prevent it from drying out in that 5 hour period.
Maybe even have a tray of water in the oven.
I think there was another thread on this subject somewhere.

Reactions: Pigfarmin101
We leave them wrapped in the oven for hours, & our oven only goes down to 170. About 1 hour before we eat I would take it out of the oven & sit on the counter still wrapped. Then pull it right when we eat.

I do the same, I pull it and put in a disposable aluminum pan with juices, Wrap and stick it in the oven and pull it out when getting ready to eat

Reactions: Pigfarmin101
We leave them wrapped in the oven for hours, & our oven only goes down to 170. About 1 hour before we eat I would take it out of the oven & sit on the counter still wrapped. Then pull it right when we eat.
Al

I do the same, I pull it and put in a disposable aluminum pan with juices, Wrap and stick it in the oven and pull it out when getting ready to eat
I've done the same as above several times. I've also towel wrapped and into a cooler for a 5 hr ride to my folks place in Arkansas. I temped it when I got there and was still 160 degrees. Pulled it and served.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky