Low Country Boil

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How is a low country boil different from a regular seafood boil? I've never heard the term low country boil before...
It's a regional thing. From my understanding, they used what was abundant in their area. In LA, they had crawfish and andouille, in the Chesapeake region, they had crabs and corn, and in South Carolina's low country, they had shrimp and pork sausage. Other ingredients were added/subtracted according to what was being harvested at the time. Potatoes and corn, okra and whatever other produce happened to be handy.
As the world shrunk, various things became readily available from far afield. I'm guessing the original Gullah people of the low country didn't include a lot of Alaskan snow crab legs in their boils, but it's almost required nowadays.
Now, can anyone tell me why a low country boil is also known as "Frogmore Stew"? (I really have no idea)

It's a regional thing. From my understanding, they used what was abundant in their area. In LA, they had crawfish and andouille, in the Chesapeake region, they had crabs and corn, and in South Carolina's low country, they had shrimp and pork sausage. Other ingredients were added/subtracted according to what was being harvested at the time. Potatoes and corn, okra and whatever other produce happened to be handy.
As the world shrunk, various things became readily available from far afield. I'm guessing the original Gullah people of the low country didn't include a lot of Alaskan snow crab legs in their boils, but it's almost required nowadays.
Now, can anyone tell me why a low country boil is also known as "Frogmore Stew"? (I really have no idea)

The name Frogmore comes from the small town on St. Helena Island, near Beaufort, SC. There are many stories about the origin of Frogmore Stew.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky