Looking to smoke some Salmon in the MES.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scsmoker843

Original poster
Dec 27, 2023
Whats everyone's recipe? Do you brine it over night or no? Guess most smoke a 2-4 lb piece

Whats everyone's recipe? Do you brine it over night or no? Guess most smoke a 2-4 lb piece
No advice, but following. Buddy of mine wants to come over and cold smoke some salmon but I've never done it.

I found this thread:

Also, have a look at at Marianski's Curing and Smoking Fish book. Might be able to help.

Used this many many yrs ago. Was actually very good

Some prefer to brine but I never seem to plan that far in advance 😕

Usually smoke a 3-4 lb size.
Wife prefers teriyaki on hers and I like a Cajun flavor on my half.
Soak hers in sauce and apply Meat Church Holy Vudoo on my side while the smoker settles in at 250°. I use pecan chunks as fish need a mild smoke profile (IMO). If you use a smoke tube in the MES, maybe try fruit pellets ?
Others may chime in to offer help.

Once the salmon hits 120 IT I glaze her side with a little T sauce and about an 1/8 slice of butter warmed together.
I would warm the mix on the stove top if using the MES to avoid heat loss.
I pull at 135 or so carryover takes to it 140 with a 10 minute rest.
Consistently turns out nice and what do they say? 'Happy wife Happy life😂.

Salmon is not my favorite but I'll suffer thru a meal or 2 for her!

Good luck and post your pics !

Keith
20220817_171542.jpg 20220817_184311.jpg 20220817_184957.jpg

If you are referring to the traditional warm or hot smoked Salmon, my typical brine time and smoke time is governed by the size of fish, but typically I dry brine large pieces in a salt/dk brown sugar mix for 6-7 hours, rinse & room dry for 2+ hours, then warm smoke starting at 125 going up to 160 for 4+ hours.

As cmayna cmayna suggested. . .Here is what I do with perfect results every time:

Enjoy

John

Ive done kings, brownies and steelhead this way in a MES. I choose to brine overnight skin up.( I cut the fillets into 4 or 5" chunks.) My brine is a mix of brown sugar, kosher salt and a touch of garlic powder. The next day I set them out to dry a touch before smoking. Before putting them in the smoker, rub some brown sugar and ginger into them (have also tried rhubarb) Apple or cherry smoke has always done me right. I have some pear chunks here that I would love to try out....but I havent gotten to make a king run in years! I wanna say I smoke at 225, but I would have to dig around and make sure of that. I cant remember for sure since it has been too long since Ive done any. This makes amazing "meat candy"!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky