Looking to buy our first Stick Burner, Advice Needed!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mismith

Original poster
Dec 22, 2013
Locust, NC
Hello everyone! This is an awesome forum and we have learned a lot already. The wife and I are looking to buy our first Stick Burner smoker. We have narrowed it down to the Lang 36 Patio or this one http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/4177855330.html which is made just up the road from our house. I contacted the local guy and have an appointment to come look right after Christmas. I like the idea of buying local and these look really well built. The obvious difference is the local one is 3/16" cooking chamber but does have the 1/4" fire box and the box is round. The Lang is all 1/4" and a square fire box as you all know. I can save quite a bit by getting this local one and just picking it up. I talked with this guy and he said he can build this same model with a square box if I prefer with or without grill on top (right or left hand box too). Here is the square box but this one has the warmer on top http://charlotte.craigslist.org/for/4235348412.html

Is it worth the extra money for the Lang and all 1/4"? Which fire box, round or square if I go with this local smoker?

Thanks so much for your time!

Michael

Last edited:
Go with the 1/4 " cooking chamber. Have had 3/16" and had problems w/ the door warping and not making good seal w/ the cooking chamber.

Hello mismith .  Welcome.  I see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  As for your question:  I agree with eman.  Check with your guy about price building it out of 1/4".  I am just curious as to how much experience you have?  The reason I ask is that stick burners like that take a lot of practice and a lot of tinkering even when you know what's going on.  Also heating up that much steel takes quite a bit of fuel.  I LOVE these smokers, especially reverse flow and I have built several and used them for years but you don't want to fire that sucker up for 1 pork butt.  That's a party rig, or you fire it up twice a year and have a big freezer.  They are a lot of money for use 2-3 times a year.  Not trying to rain on your parade but just asking your experience.  They are GREAT smokers and look the mutts nuts but there is a price to pay.  Good luck with your new smoker whatever you decide.  I don't think anyone will disagree but this is my opinion for what it is worth.  Others may have different advice.  This is only my opinion.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Between those two I would go with the Lang there are a lot of them being used by many of our members.

I'm not sure... but looking at the pictures... the firebox looks a little small for that size of cook chamber.... maybe you can get the full measurements of both the firebox and CC.. then run the numbers through the pit calculator that can be found here.... that will tell ya if it's ok or not..... kinda liking the price though....

Last edited:
Thanks, we are newbies to a stick burner (not to smoking meats). I am well aware of the challenges and expense of this option. We are ready to learn the proper techniques to be proficient with it. We are both also anti charcoal when it comes to pork. I believe this is the only real way to smoke. We will use it for Church events, catering, etc , once good enough with it. Poor people can't afford poor quality. That's why we want to buy the best unit we can afford. I liked the Peoria but it's just a bit much for us. I have plenty of sources for wood, especially Hickory which we love, so fuel should not be an issue. Looking like the Lang might be the one to go for. I have contacted the local guy to see what total 1/4" build would be, no response yet.

Last edited:
Without question get  the lang... I have a 60 deluxe and could not be happier!! You won't have any problem with it EVER!!
first.gif
 "your cookin on a Lang!!"

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky