Looking for Commercial Pepper Slicer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cody_Mack

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 8, 2021
Fulshear, TX
I’ve been making candied jalapeños for several years now, sharing with friends, giving as gifts and enjoying at parties and just by gosh anytime! After I got laid off (COVID June 2020!) I have been trying to sell a few to bring in some extra spending (Beer and BBQ!) money. When I really get after it, I can make a few hundred dollars with a day or two effort. For last Christmas I made and sold 80 jars, all produced over three days in our kitchen. A couple of months ago, I spent a pretty long day and made 50 jars.

I really want to ramp it up and turn into a steady thing, but the biggest hurdle I have is getting the fresh whole jalapeños sliced into perfectly cut 3/16” slices; pounds of them! I actually do very well with my cheap chef’s knife, one slice at a time. But it’s not getting it for large quantities; I know there’s a gadget that I need, something out there better. A device where I lay down the whole pepper, pull a lever and bamm! I have 12-3/16" slices...Next!

I envision a unit based on the same principal design as an egg slicer. I actually tried that once with a cheap egg slicer we had, and the tough-skinned jalapeño just laughed at the tiny wires as they were grossly stretched out of shape, while hardly making a dent in the pepper…he he

I have found commercial “slicers” that may work. They describe them as tomato slicers, or onion slicers, or vegetable slicers. They never really fully state what they can easily cut through cleanly and efficiently, over and over. I have asked on their web sites and with Amazon ‘questions’ but not got any good answers. I have not visited a restaurant supply house yet.

So, wondering if any of y’all have experience in this area; can comment on what I need and what works and what does not work. (please don't say use a mandalin; is not applicable for this application)

I am eyeballing this one this one on Amazon.

Rick

Attachments

• IMG_3036.JPG
    IMG_3036.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 209217123_4077567689028044_5021519979019246280_n.jpg
    209217123_4077567689028044_5021519979019246280_n.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 40
Something like one of these? 1st link is restaurant supply; 2d is video of the item at link 3 eBay (budget buster!

"When I really get after it, I can make a few hundred dollars with a day or two effort. "
Well, the machine should take care of your business. Maybe even a tax write off or something?

Sure would speed up jalapeno canning time. And as an added bonus, you wouldn't much have to worry about setting anything on fire during bathroom breaks.

• Haha
Reactions: Cody_Mack
I think the manual slicer you linked is better than than the slicer old sarge old sarge posted.
The machine throat size appears much smaller than a nice jalapeno fatty I get from my garden or grocer.
Well wishes on your home endeavor.
Sucks getting laid off. Hope you get back to regular employment soon

I really wonder if that manual slicer is any faster than a mandolin while wearing cutting gloves? I’m curious have you considered insurance and health department for your venture? I only ask as I’m considering similar things with hot sauces and kraut as well. Also some catering. I’ve read some horror stories though on lawsuits for food poisoning, chipped teeth etc for home operations that weren’t covered by insurance.

When I have a large quantity of slicing to do, and don't want to use the mandolin, I use my semi cheap meat slicer (fried taters, anyone?). Works great, just have to pay attention, to keep your fingers out of it, and then you only have to manually cut 1-3 times on what you don't put through the slicer. I've had the slicer for probably 15 years now, and it's easy to break down and clean. To be honest, I think I actually got it as a black Friday special, I sure don't remember spending $100 on it. I use something very similar to this:

That $700 cutter looks pretty sweet but it will take quite a few jars to pay for it.
Found this looking around. A bit cheaper than Amazon. Just make sure you hit the proper blade selection...JJ

Wow, great responses everyone, thanks! I am really picky about the "almost" perfect slices. Guess they don't have to be, but it makes a much better product.

A lot of the machines linked above, throw out some slices but also slivers and pieces. I bought one of the nice KitchenAid slicers on Amazon, where you feed through a chute at the top. One problem is the chute really needs to be a snug fit for the pepper to feed straight through, then you have the blade running at high RPM, and you need to coordinate the feed rate to find that happy medium where the blade can hit that 3/16" slice every time. It looked so easy on the QVC Channel; think they were doing zucchini or cucumbers or similar. But in reality it wasn't working for me.

The one chef jimmyj chef jimmyj linked looks identical to the one I linked; for $162 less! WTH?

Rick

Actually it's $152.39. For some reason the link defaults to No Selection at $37.99. If you select 3/16 Quick Slicer, $152.39 pops up. Weird...JJ
If you have a bunch of slicing to do , and you want them uniform , that's cheap .
I'm thinking less waste on top of it .

I think the manual slicer you linked is better than than the slicer old sarge old sarge old sarge old sarge posted.
The machine throat size appears much smaller than a nice jalapeno fatty I get from my garden or grocer.
Well wishes on your home endeavor.
Sucks getting laid off. Hope you get back to regular employment soon

I agree. That's the problem I ran into with the KitchenAid slicer. The round feed chute was a little small for most of the peppers I was getting. Then with the larger openings it was difficult to hold it straight while pushing it down.

Thanks for the condolences. Yeah I'm a job-aholic so it really hit me hard. At my age it'll be tough getting back in with what I was doing. I guess I can go work in the Electrical Isle at Lowes...

Rick

I really wonder if that manual slicer is any faster than a mandolin while wearing cutting gloves? I’m curious have you considered insurance and health department for your venture? I only ask as I’m considering similar things with hot sauces and kraut as well. Also some catering. I’ve read some horror stories though on lawsuits for food poisoning, chipped teeth etc for home operations that weren’t covered by insurance.

No I haven't considered the Insurance...it's a good tip and reminder. I do have my "Cottage Kitchen" license, but like you say that will not cover the unexpected.

Rick

No I haven't considered the Insurance...it's a good tip and reminder. I do have my "Cottage Kitchen" license, but like you say that will not cover the unexpected.

Rick
I’ve got to look into the Cottage Kitchen as well. I read up a bit on it last year and in Ohio covers a pretty narrow scope of approved home goods.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky