Looking for Commercial Pepper Slicer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I’ve got to look into the Cottage Kitchen as well. I read up a bit on it last year and in Ohio covers a pretty narrow scope of approved home goods.

Right. You can sell canned pickles but not canned tomatoes, salsa, etc. My jalapenos are probably borderline and I need to get a good pH meter and check them to see where I am on the legal scale.

I may also consider renting a space in a Commercial Kitchen, where most or all of the home restrictions are lifted, already covered. It all depends on cost vs profit.

And another restriction: wife lets me know about it when I boil and can peppers all day...and I can't blame her...ha!

Rick

Reactions: jcam222
Right. You can sell canned pickles but not canned tomatoes, salsa, etc. My jalapenos are probably borderline and I need to get a good pH meter and check them to see where I am on the legal scale.

I may also consider renting a space in a Commercial Kitchen, where most or all of the home restrictions are lifted, already covered. It all depends on cost vs profit.

And another restriction: wife lets me know about it when I boil and can peppers all day...and I can't blame her...ha!

Rick
Lol I’ve cleared my house and been yelled at for peppers cooking as well lol!! I started fermenting and got a lot of tips from xray xray , one of which was a PH meter. He recommended the Apera PH20. It’s been great so far. I got mine on Amazon.

Well a few of you expressed interest in a commercial type slicer, so I want to update the thread.

After much personal debate I convince myself that the slicer I had interest in was worth purchasing and giving it a shot. It was sold and shipped by Amazon so I felt good about returning it if necessary, so I went for it. So far: good choice!

Got it unpacked and admired the design and construction; it’s definitely commercial grade, and built to last. I very carefully inspected the most critical component, which is the blade assembly. It is also heavy-duty, the blades are very sturdy and stiff, and very sharp! It’s a unique design with two stacks of blades, with blades in each stack ½” apart, but the blades in each stack are offset from each other by ¼” vertically, so that a final cut straight down will give you ¼” slices. See photos and video for better explanation if that didn’t make sense.

Before ordering I never could figure out the width of the blade assembly opening; that is, how wide of product can I fit comfortably. Turns out it’s a little less than I was hoping, and that is just over 3 ½”. Not bad, but a lot of the peppers I have been getting lately are bigger than that on the average. I’ll just have to be more selective when purchasing the peppers that I pay attention to that. Not a huge deal, as I can just do a manual cut with a knife when coming across those. I will be cutting each one manually at least once anyway to get rid of the stem. See video.

So now I’m pumped, and immediately went to the grocery and grabbed enough fresh jalapenos to make a “batch” of ten half-pint jars of Cowboy Candy. Got back home and washed a few of them for the first test! The machine did not disappoint, and I was grinning from ear to ear. I have been making these for a few years, and although I am pretty good and fast with a knife, it’s still a royal PITA!

So, hope you get something out of the (low-class) video...ha ha! It is my first and I didn’t put a lot of planning into it; it just happened.

Rick

Here's some pics of the blade assemblies. I think this machine will interchange 3/8", 1/4", 3/16" and maybe 1/2".
IMG_3431.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG

That is nice , and works great . Those blades are like the smaller ones I get for the bread knives . Yup , very sharp .
Just gonna ask , what would it hurt if you did the bigger peppers one an angle , instead of cutting them down ? Be just a bit different in shape .

That is nice , and works great . Those blades are like the smaller ones I get for the bread knives . Yup , very sharp .
Just gonna ask , what would it hurt if you did the bigger peppers one an angle , instead of cutting them down ? Be just a bit different in shape .
Sure I will give it a go with the longer peppers. Worth a shot! I was at the grocer today and I just asked the Produce guy if I could (sometime) buy a case of peppers. He didn't know but he left to go ask his boss. When he finally came back with a 40 lb box for me I apologized to him that he had to carry them out cause I didn't want them now. Anyhow, the large box was over-flowing with peppers and many, many of them were larger than what I need to fit in the machine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky