Looking for advice on beef short ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
Never done beef ribs before, but have wanted to for a long time. In fact I've never eaten them before! Wife found them today for $5.84/lb and picked up a 5 lb package. Is that a good price?

My questions are:

How many ribs per person typically?
Smoke, grill or slow cooker? Or some combo?
Dry rub/seasoning?
Glaze or sauce them after with anything?

Sorry, usually I'm a bit more informed, but all I know is how good they look on the food shows, but never paid attention to the best methods for preparing them.

The majority of what you're asking is going to depend on what cut of the ribs you have. There are several and yield will vary depending on which ones you have. Some are somewhat thin, kind of along the lines of baby backs while other cuts will be massive and one rib can easily weigh over a pound...which might feed two people. Those are known here as Dino ribs.

Robert

^agreed. Several versions and tasty no mater how you do them... I have some going on tomorrow. Will smoke for several hrs then pan for a couple more. Several recipes on here. Here are two that I found quickly.
Good Luck!

I usually smoke to an IT of 160 or so then braise in the smoker the rest of the way. I do just fully smoke them also. SPG is what I typically season with. You said 5lbs but is it one slab or individual ribs? Bone-in or boneless?

Are they Beef Back Ribs or a cut of Beef Short Ribs?
Are they in a rack or individual cut bones, or are they thin sliced across the bones?

Most Beef Back ribs are referred to as Shiners cause so much meat is taken of them the bones shine through. Not much meat left and it can take several bones or even a rack to feed one hungry person.
You can search and find all sorts of Beef Back Ribs or Shiner cooks.
I stay away from Beef Back Ribs as they usually have so little meat.

Racks of either Chuck or Plate Beef Short Ribs can be huge and one rib feed can usually feed a hungry man, especially when served with sides.
If I'm gonna cook beef ribs these are my go to, they are fantastic, lots of meat, lots of show and they are full a excellent beefy flavor.

I feel that short ribs are best cooked either as a rack or Korean/Flanken cut, racks grilled/smoked and Korean/Flanken marinaded and grilled over high heat.
Racks of Short Ribs I prefer to dry rub and smoked at 275° or higher over either hickory, mesquite or a mix of the two.

Here are three cooks of Short Ribs I've done.
Behemoth Beef Ribs
Adam's Rib? Nope IMPS #130 Chuck Short Ribs
Bodacious Beef Ribs, No More Teasing Time to Start Pleasing

Reactions: pa42phigh
Thanks for all the great info everyone! The ribs are individually cut and smaller than those I've seen at the butcher, which were huge. Thise were probably what you call the dino bones.

I'm thinking slow cooker, maybe in water and onion soup mix? Should I maybe consider a different braising liquid?

The package was 5 lbs and I'll have 4 people to feed. I dont know what to expect as far as meat yield is concerned. Wondering if I should cook them all?

I'm thinking slow cooker, maybe in water and onion soup mix? Should I maybe consider a different braising liquid?

The package was 5 lbs and I'll have 4 people to feed. I dont know what to expect as far as meat yield is concerned. Wondering if I should cook them all?

I guess you could. I would certainly give them a good seasoning and sear before you put them in the cooker. A red wine and beef stock would be more "classic". I'd aim more for a braise then submerged in a pot.

Here's a cook I did if you want ideas: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/short-ribs-and-chucky-turnip-puree-glazed-carrots.297524/
If not smoking at all I'd do a very good browning first.

You 5lbs should feed 4 unless they're huge eaters ;)

Let us know how it turns out.

I guess you could. I would certainly give them a good seasoning and sear before you put them in the cooker. A red wine and beef stock would be more "classic". I'd aim more for a braise then submerged in a pot.

Here's a cook I did if you want ideas: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/short-ribs-and-chucky-turnip-puree-glazed-carrots.297524/
If not smoking at all I'd do a very good browning first.

You 5lbs should feed 4 unless they're huge eaters ;)

Let us know how it turns out.
Very helpful, thanks! Yes I think red wine, and veggies would be better. I think I may do that. And will do the whole package. I'll post my adventure tomorrow.

I just made these 2 nights ago. Super simple recipe in the crock pot. I was looking fors something I could prepare in the morning and have for dinner. I served it with some white rice. I did brown the ribs before the crock pot. I added some scallions to the cook.

RG
https://damndelicious.net/2016/03/23/slow-cooker-asian-short-ribs/

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup beef broth
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
  • 5 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, cut crosswise into 2″ pieces
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 1 teaspoon sesame seeds

Had this in my notes maybe it will help..
Aaron Franklin’s Beef Ribs
Ingredient List
* 1 (3- to 5-pound) rack of beef short ribs (from the plate, not the chuck)
* 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Cajun Chef or Crystal
* About 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup Brisket and Beef Rib Rub
* Spray bottle of water, vinegar, or other liquid
* Seasoned firewood (preferably oak or hickory)
Beef Rib Rub
* Equal parts 16-mesh ground black pepper and kosher salt
How to Cook Beef Ribs
By Aaron Franklin
If I had to name my own personal favorite cut of barbecue, it would probably be beef ribs. They are the richest and the most decadent, succulent, and flavorful cut of beef you can put on a smoker. That’s also why I don’t eat them much—too rich, too hedonistic. We only cook beef ribs on Saturdays at the restaurant: they’re a special treat, made all the more special because we do them only once a week.
That said, beef ribs are pretty easy to cook. In this recipe, I include a light slather of hot sauce. We don’t cook them this way at the restaurant because not everyone likes spicy food, but it’s my preference for sure. I rub heavily because there’s so much fat, and the extra rub really melts into it well. Beef ribs don’t get wrapped. You’ll know they’re done when they feel jiggly and soft.
Overview
* Heat the smoker to 275°F and check that the water pan is full.
* Trim the ribs if needed.
* Slather the ribs with a very light coating of hot sauce.
* Apply the rub (equal parts salt and black pepper).
* Cook the ribs, meat side up, at 275°F, for about 8 to 9 hours.
* Spritz during the final 2 to 3 hours.
* Check for doneness by poking the ribs; when they feel like melted butter (about 203°F between the bones), serve.

Step 1 START THE SMOKER.
Get a fire going and heat the smoker so it’s about 275°F at grate level.
Step 2 TRIM THE RIBS.
Beef ribs usually come quite clean and well trimmed, unlike pork ribs and briskets, so there’s not much to do. If you see any big chunks or flaps of fat, trim them away. Apart from that, I don’t trim beef ribs.
Step 3 APPLY THE SLATHER.
When I’m cooking for myself, I like to slather the ribs with a bit of hot sauce. Of course, you can slather with anything you like—from water to mustard to vinegar. The slather is mainly there to help the rub adhere to the surface of the meat. I just think a little hint of earthy spiciness from a bottle of hot sauce is a fun addition to beef ribs. You can’t really taste it in the final product, but it helps build interior layers of flavor.
Step 4 APPLY THE RUB.
Using a shaker, and holding it 1 to 2 feet above the ribs, generously apply the rub—a little heavier than you would on a brisket. This is because, as rich as brisket is, beef ribs are even richer. The extra rub ends up forming a bark that balances out that richness just a little bit. I generally use somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2 cup of rub for each rack of beef ribs. 50/50 course black pepper and kosher salt
Step 5 COOK THE RIBS.
Place the ribs, meat side up, in the smoker. As usual, I cook meat side up because I’ve determined that my smokers have more topside heat and the meat and fat cap can handle that. If you’ve got more heat coming from below, you might consider going meat side down. Again, it’s up to you—the ribs can come out well either way. Cook for 8 to 9 hours, until done.
Step 6 SPRITZ.
During the final 5 hours or so, spritz pretty frequently with water or other liquid to keep the ends from burning.
Step 7 FINISH, THEN SERVE.
Check for doneness by gently inserting a toothpick between two membranes: the one outside the bones and the one that separates the bones from the meat. Inside, the meat should be extremely tender. Alternatively, take an internal temperature reading: the ribs should be done when they reach 203°F. Let them rest for at least 30 minutes before serving. Beef ribs are served on the bone, but great for sharing.

20201108_173242.jpg
Well, it didn't turn out at all like I imagined. There was very little meat and MANY MANY bones. So I guess it was the wrong cut of ribs. It was like a very tasty pot roast, but with much more fat. I won't do these again, but still looking to make the right cut of ribs and will refer to some of your suggestions. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: olaf
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky