Looking for Advice for My First Brisket on the MBGS 800

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bcaruthers

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 14, 2022
Nampa, Idaho
I went to Costco last night and they had prime briskets for $3.99 a lbs. I ended picking out a 10 lbs one that was nice and floppy. I plan on cooking it on Tuesday. One question that I have is if I should put the rub on a just before the cook or overnight? I’m going to use Killer Hogs TX Brisket rub. The game plan for the cook is to get the smoker up to around 225 F. Once is reaches 165 F internal, check to see if the fat has rendered. Once the fat has rendered, wrap in butcher paper with some tallow and take it up to 205 F internal and check the flat to see if it is probe tender. Cut off the point to make some burnt ends and then rest the flat for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

That’s the current plan. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Reactions: negolien
Couple suggestions. Have a pan below to catch drippings. My first time out I had a grease fire. Fat renders out throughout the cooking process even after wrapping. Make sure there are no seams on the bottom of the paper. Grease WILL find it's way out, especially with the added tallow.
Agree with indaswamp. Briskets are done when they're done. Don't automatically cook your brisket till 205. I've had them done between 197 to 203. I use a ThermPro 4 channel thermometer throughout the cook, even after wrapping.
After wrapping, I"ve even put the brisket in my kitchen oven. The meat can't tell. BTU's are BTU's and further smoking doesn't happen. Saves a bit on charcoal and wood chunks.

I trim, rub and probe mine the night before. that way I wake up, start smoker, and toss it on without much effort needed.

I will to run my briskets on a pellet grill at 180 (high smoke) for an hour or two then 275 till probe tender. I stopped wrapping anything a couple years ago. Just something to think about.

Every brisket is different. Once the brisket has got to the color I'm looking for, it's usually been in the stall for a bit. My prefered color & wrap schedule using butcher paper tends to be around 170-175º but even this has occurred both earlier & later with some briskets. Agree with both rexster314 rexster314 and indaswamp indaswamp , definitely use a pan (I use a disposable thin sided alum sheet cake pan) it really helps to eliminate big clean ups afterwards and to start testing when the flat IT is 190-195º. Prime packers have a tendency to get done before choice ones. Remember to weight what you trim off so you will know what weight you are actually smoking. Also highly recommend keeping a journal of every smoke with good details including what didn't work. These are invaluable references to refer to before the next smoke. FYI, I keep my notes in a recipe app on my Mac.

Reactions: bcaruthers
Those prime briskets tend to get probe tender at a lower temp than non prime...Definitely start checking for tenderness around 195 ( especially when cooked @225 ). Good luck and make sure to post pictures. 😎

As for rub, I've always put it on the day before. Doesn't mean it's better, it's just what I do.
A plus to doing the day before is you get the mess out of the way a day early, freeing up time the day of the cook.

I know that for ribs, some put on the day before, and then sprinkle some on about 15 minutes before it's done.

You sound like you got a good plan! Those Costco briskets are nice. Just make sure you get the color/ bark you want before wrapping. Don’t be afraid to wrap higher than 165 if that’s what it takes. Looking forward to seeing the results

Good advice above. I would place the brisket on the middle shelf with a pan on the bottom to catch the drippings
Keith

Definitely use a drip pan, not just to keep smoker clean, but to use drippings to make bbq sauce.
But having just made pastrami, I would make that instead.

One piece of advice I'll give is that you'll probably want to give the grate in the firebox a good shake at some point overnight (and during any long smoke). I've only run my MBGF overnight once and when I woke up it had dropped temp and the fire had bridged up a bit into the chute. The reason is that the grate had become a bit clogged with spent charcoal and ash that didn't quite fall down, so the fire bridged up.

A good shake once about 6-8 hours into a long smoke should keep you in the clear.

Thank you all for the tips! I went out and got a drip pan after the suggestions. Making sure it is the desired color before the wrap and checking the temp before 205 F is really good advice. Also, shaking the grate after a few hours was something that I would have never thought of doing. I will probably rub the brisket and load my hopper the might before to save some time. Once again, thank you all for the advice!

Time for updates & pics please

Keith
Keith, I’m not doing the smoke until Tuesday, but I will definitely post some pics during and after. When I went to the store to get drip pans, I saw a two pack of bone-in Boston butts for $1.87 a lbs and picked those up. So, now I’m going to smoke that for pulled pork tomorrow. I will create a thread for that in the Pork area. It will be my first time smoking a butt. So, we will see how that goes.

Reactions: 912smoker
Good deal and pretty much the same process for BB. I have started wrapping in a pan around 170 or so (whenever I get the desired color ). Catches all the drippings to add to the finishing sauce !

Keith

Got it all trimmed up and rubbed down last night. Getting ready to place it on the smoker. Not the prettiest picture, but I didn’t take one last night.
F5EE24FA-9CEA-46FA-8D35-ED734B9DCB0C.jpeg

Looks good so far. Just make sure you remember which way the grain is going when you slice it up.
You'll want to slice it against the grain.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky