Long Cook Times solution

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

semperfish

Original poster
May 28, 2015
Lakeland, FL
I have a reverse flow smoker. The downside is I have to "babysit" it so long for brisket or shoulder. My question is... Can I start the meat in the oven low all night and finish the meat on the smoker? I have heard of folks going the other way. Smoke then oven. If not can you explain why. Thanks so much.

Debating on buying electric smoker for when I don't have time for the RFS.

Last edited:
Meat takes on the smoke at the early stages of the cooking process, as it heats up it will be harder to get the smoke flavor you want.
Take a look at a weber smokey mountain, they are a charcoal smoker.  You'll get great results, without all the babysitting.  They are almost as set it and forget it as an electric.  Good luck and good smokin'.

yeahthat.gif

Al

I built my own electric, 1500 watt, Auber controller.

The thing pretty much takes care of itself while I keep well hydrated.

Electrics do have things to recommend them.

Set it up and leave it alone.

Can't answer the other question.

Why not try it then let us all know.

Ed

I use one of these with my UDS:

They work for WSMs and many other charcoal smokers. I think you will have to go with a non-stick burning tool to take advantage of babysitting free smoking. I have a fairly high end electric, a pellet smoker and a couple of charcoal smokers. All of them produce excellent Q and all of them are tend-free smokers. 

Of course you can smoke in your reverse flow for a few hours in the late evening and then pop in the oven and go to sleep. Wake up to beautiful smoked brisket for brisket for breakfast. 

Last edited:
I have a reverse flow smoker. The downside is I have to "babysit" it so long for brisket or shoulder. My question is... Can I start the meat in the oven low all night and finish the meat on the smoker? I have heard of folks going the other way. Smoke then oven. If not can you explain why. Thanks so much.

Did you ever think about cooking hot & fast on your offset? I know it's not for everyone but it could be worth a try.

I have cooked lots of pork butts @ 300 in about 6 - 6.5 hours and they turn out ok.

Did you ever think about cooking hot & fast on your offset? I know it's not for everyone but it could be worth a try.

I have cooked lots of pork butts @ 300 in about 6 - 6.5 hours and they turn out ok.

Depending on my temp on my Reverse flow, my Picnic/Butts are done an average of 60 minutes to 80 minutes a pound. I have finished even quicker on some cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky