Lockhart Smokehouse Dry Rub/Flavor Secret

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

randyhood

Original poster
Oct 16, 2016
Arlington, TX
Ok guys, every time I go to Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas, I am blown away by the flavor of the smoked meats, but plagued by one question: What is that unique flavor I am tasting on the brisket and shoulder clod?!
I'm pretty confident in figuring out the usual factors of amazing central Texas BBQ - meat choice, salt pepper, post oak, fire maintenance, doneness, resting, etc. But there is SOMETHING about the FLAVOR of Lockhart's beef that I have not run across anywhere else, not even at Franklin's in Austin. I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with a secret ingredient in the dry rub (divulged as "shark tears" by Damian Avila in a Dallas Observer article). Secret dry rub ingredients are not the typical bragging point of Texas pitmasters, but it just has to be what sets Lockhart's apart from the rest. I would describe the elusive flavor as slightly sweet and spicy melded with smoke and a super fine salty flavor. If I had to take a wild guess, I would say brown sugar, cayenne, garlic powder, and MSG. Of course with a base of black pepper and salt. As far as the cooking process, I also suspect a technique that I've been experimenting with: applying additional dry rub later on in the cook. Especially with sugar as an ingredient, this helps to avoid getting that bitter, burnt sugar flavor. Any thoughts?

Randy,

I hear you! I don’t know what they got going on down there in Dallas but I’ve never had better brisket than at Lockhart’s. And honestly it’s not even close. I was blown away with the brisket from Lockhart’s. It wrecked brisket for me. I’ve had brisket and other bbq all over the country and Lockhart’s wins the brisket battle by a mile. I ate there twice in two & a half days when I was in Dallas. Never even thought to try and dissect the flavors to busy stuffing my face with that brisket.

If you figure it out let me know.

Scott

Can't help you much specifically about Lockhart but can tell you that ANY beef dish I cook uses MSG/glutamines. Totally elevates it. I can picture it working well with Texas style beef barbaque and for damned sure it will be on my brisket when that time comes. You can also use other forms of glutamines like yeast extract, soy, fish sauce/paste, etc (there are tons) if you are worried about MSG, but I think that's all BS.

I believe german brewers are similar to Texas pitmasters in that they are traditional but sneaky. They appear to be simplistic but that's not entirely true. IE "The rub is only 2 ingredients" could mean injecting or brining. "We don't inject" could mean marinating. "We only add a rub of salt and pepper" well then the butcher or packer injects. I could go on...

I believe german brewers are similar to Texas pitmasters in that they are traditional but sneaky. They appear to be simplistic but that's not entirely true. IE "The rub is only 2 ingredients" could mean injecting or brining. "We don't inject" could mean marinating. "We only add a rub of salt and pepper" well then the butcher or packer injects. I could go on...
Hmm, interesting thoughts on potential injecting and brining. That would be tantamount to blasphemy in Texas, so they would need to keep that secret locked down tight. However, the unique flavor seems to come mainly from the bark though, so I suspect they are pure in that regard.
Anyway, I plan to experiment with future cooks and report back on the results.

Blasphemy is one thing but german beers are brewed under LAW. That said, you'd be surprised how they bend it. That was my point. IE german brewers will brew a sour beer to add to their main batch in order to acidify since they are not allowed to add acid. So, even sticking with traditional simple ingredients there could be some really interesting approaches to using them. First thing that come to mind is black pepper. There's a ton of variety. https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/taste-test-black-pepper-what-are-differences-in-varieties.html Even fresh ground store bought stuff is night and day to typical pre ground. Having just finally accomplished mimicing my favorite pro smoked food I understand your quest and hope you enjoy the journey trying to nail that elusive thing. Without even having TX cue, I would investigate umami boosters with glutamines (msg etc) as they have such a profound effect of beef. A few guesses for a rub: worschteshire powder or roasted/carmelized garlic powder (sweet but less garlicky) to name a few. One last tidbit, your palette is most sensitive first thing in the morning (no coffee or brushing teeth) and perhaps you will pick up more detail that way.
Good luck!

I'v never been to Lockharts so don't know the flavor you'r trying to identify. That said I agree completely with driller about the addition of umami boosters. I ALWAYS add some Accent to my rub. The main ingredient in Accent is MSG. It adds a whole new ingredient to the taste of the of all meats.
Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky