Locating exhaust lower than the smoke generator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ronyon

Original poster
May 18, 2021
Has anyone located the smoke exhaust exit point lower in the smoke chamber than where the smoke enters?
The idea is to allow the smoke to under go stratification before it leaves the chamber, increasing the dwell time.

Doing that would result in food that tastes like an ashtray.
It is best to maintain a good flow to avoid creosote from coating your food.
A little bit of smoke goes a long way. No need to pool it up in the chamber.

If you wanted to cool the inside of your smoker to temperatures below the ambient; yes, youd want the exhaust below the intake. But this would be to prevent stratification.

PolishDeli said it in a nutshell. The smoke is supposed to flow over and around the meat, not sit on it.
I think you would have problems keeping it burning as well....

I was borrowing an idea from the world of rocket mass heaters, but the goals here are different, so it just doesn't work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky