Updated w/Erickson Collection (P-51, B17, Corsair, Skyraider…)-Living Air Museum-Historic Aircraft ….Spruce Goose, SR-71, F-117, & C47A D-Day Flyer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Very cool noboundaries noboundaries I’ve been to the Boeing one 3 times…..I have pics of those same aircraft’s on my computer at home as well! I was able to walk through a Concorde there as well as an early air force one….they have a 71 on display as well

Regret never getting down there before leaving the PNW.
I wonder if they ever restored any engines on the goose. Some low life stole all the spark plugs to sell for platinum salvage. Engines all seized up.

Talked with a AF pilot that flew a refueling tanker when the 71 set the London to LA speed record back in the 70's. He had to fly in a steep descent to get enough airspeed for the bird to refuel

P&W J58 was the most unique engine. A turbojet ramjet combination.

The 71 outperformed the Valkyrie hands down. The difference was the bird was surveillance (and most of the juicy stuff is still classified) whereas the Valkyrie was a bomber and most of that juicy stuff is still classified, too.
The video said they did a full restore on all engines (they used them on other aircraft, so parts were available) as part of the move to Evergreen but you never now if the fired them or not. They took the whole thing down to bare wood and documented all the QC stamps on the panels and signatures of the engineers and craftsman. They did leave the windows that were cut in rather than restore it back for some reason…..the guild we had wished they would have put the OG pieces back

Reactions: JLeonard
Great pics. The Evergreen museum can EASILY be an all day event. Love that place. My pics are on my computer, not my phone.

Boeing's museum up the road is worth the trip, too. Here's a couple pics of the two sexiest WWII aircraft ever built, the Vought F4U Corsair (namesake for the A-7E I flew) and the P51 Mustang. When I hear a P51 take off, I tell my wife I need to rollover and have a smoke.

View attachment 697220
View attachment 697221
View attachment 697222
Just for you……I did snap a pick of the A-7 too….
IMG_8484.jpeg

IMG_8485.jpeg

Regret never getting down there before leaving the PNW.
I wonder if they ever restored any engines on the goose. Some low life stole all the spark plugs to sell for platinum salvage. Engines all seized up.

Talked with a AF pilot that flew a refueling tanker when the 71 set the London to LA speed record back in the 70's. He had to fly in a steep descent to get enough airspeed for the bird to refuel

P&W J58 was the most unique engine. A turbojet ramjet combination.

The 71 outperformed the Valkyrie hands down. The difference was the bird was surveillance (and most of the juicy stuff is still classified) whereas the Valkyrie was a bomber and most of that juicy stuff is still classified, too.
I’m really bummed I cropped the plaque….. but for most of it….
IMG_8525.jpeg

I got a full video walk around on the one that was free standing on a cart off to the side…..I think my excitement caused QC issues with my pic abilities….lol

IMG_8627.jpeg

The wife and boy made a found a surprise museum today on the coast of Oregon……the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museums……

First up the Aircraft that is truly one of a kind…..

The Spruce Goose!!!!
View attachment 697145
Yes it is really made out of wood laminate…..
View attachment 697154
A view of the tail section. The model guy is 6ft ant the door in the tail is 5ft just for perspective…..
View attachment 697152
A view of the nose cone and hydraulic pumps….
View attachment 697161
The wing span is huge…..just a pic down the inside of the wing……
View attachment 697150
Next up the cockpit……note the coffee machine at the right of the pic….
View attachment 697157
Looking back from the front…..the big box to the left is the onboard generator motors that ran till the engines that had generators in them.
View attachment 697158
And now sitting in the pilot seat…….its a rare thing to say you have shared a seat that Howard Hughes sweat bullets as he flew this thing for the first time……
View attachment 697160
And one would have to look out the hatch above the pilot chair to see the wing full of engines….
View attachment 697137

Next up one of the most exotic aircraft ever built……UP CLOSE and PERSONAL!!!!! The SR-71 Blackbird……it’s a bird that blows your mind after being on the largest ever wood float plane…..
View attachment 697164
And now some pics of things I have never before seen on previous exhibits of the 71…..the hidden but not hidden P&W turbojet engines……
View attachment 697147
Wow…..
View attachment 697146
Mind blown WOW……the tail cone….ceramic (looks like anyway) coated everything…..
View attachment 697134
Ever wonder how the swap jets out…..well here you go……just pop the hood…..
View attachment 697139
A shot at the open hatch at the tail section……..just look and how clean every part is……this is pre-cnc!!
View attachment 697144
Oh just look at how smooth and sleek…….yes I am under the tall snapping this pic!
View attachment 697136
This bird was one of the last 3 in service flying for NASA after they were retired…….Ive seen other exhibits of this beauty but this one was so up front and personal I felt like I need to go do a confessional or something afterwards……pure amazement……

This baby is rough is it’s in full restoration mode but the F-117View attachment 697128
All the “secrete” panels have been removed and last time is saw one was at a distance behind MPs with no touchy sticks….

And last but not least……this one brought tears to my eyes……. The iconic C-47A! It was missing from its spot but the boy spotted it behind the buildings as it’s being sent off to be restored…..
View attachment 697140
This particular bird flew not one but 3 missions on D-Day towing the early gliders and followed by carrying members of the 101st! It also flew them in operation Market Garden……..

So how to you top off a memorable day like this……well you have some good grub over looking the Tillamook Bay…..
View attachment 697130
Roasted red pepper aioli calamari……
View attachment 697143
I mean YUM YUM!!!!
View attachment 697142
And the finish……certified black angus NW NY with dungeoness crab and CI seared sides….
View attachment 697141
Enjoy and thanks for letting me share….
Since I'll probably never get to Oregon (intentionally) thank you. the goose was the highlight.

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks for the post and aviation memories. My Dad was a navigator on a B-29 during WWII. I am a big aviation buff. I'll put Evergreen on my destination list. That Spruce Goose is one awesome aircraft.
Recently we visited the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola Florida. Small museum but all Navy, aircraft carriers, plus home of the Blue Angels.

RG

Reactions: noboundaries
Since I'll probably never get to Oregon (intentionally) thank you. the goose was the highlight.
Glad I could share……..there are places to avoid in OR for sure but there are many other places that are very nice and don’t have the issues the bigger cities have…..
Thanks for the post and aviation memories. My Dad was a navigator on a B-29 during WWII. I am a big aviation buff. I'll put Evergreen on my destination list. That Spruce Goose is one awesome aircraft.
Recently we visited the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola Florida. Small museum but all Navy, aircraft carriers, plus home of the Blue Angels.

RG
That’s cool about your Dad….. oh don’t forget the Tillamook Air museum just about an hour west of Evergreen. And the Boeing to the north…..the Hill Aerospace museum in Roy Utah has a B-29 along with many other way cool craft as well.

Yea that is way cool!!! I read about the C-47 wheel gun ships…..I’m thinking those dominated the space when they spun up!

Last edited:
Great pics. The Evergreen museum can EASILY be an all day event. Love that place. My pics are on my computer, not my phone.

Boeing's museum up the road is worth the trip, too. Here's a couple pics of the two sexiest WWII aircraft ever built, the Vought F4U Corsair (namesake for the A-7E I flew) and the P51 Mustang. When I hear a P51 take off, I tell my wife I need to rollover and have a smoke.

View attachment 697220
View attachment 697221
View attachment 697222
Corsairs are my favorite WWII aircraft! Very cool!

Corsairs are my favorite WWII aircraft! Very cool!
Yes they are just awesome. Just a huge engine and blades and iti-bitty body and wings……..

Just some perspective the Corsairs had a double Wasp (18 cyl) 2k hp engine the spun 13ft 4 inch tri blade……. The spruce goose (Hughes H-4 Hercules) had 8 Wasps (28 cyl) 3K hp that spun 4 - 17ft 2inch blades……

Gives you perspective to know the blades are 17ft dia…..
IMG_8395.jpeg

Very cool trip and post civilsmoker civilsmoker ! Thanks for sharing!
You are welcome!!! The nostalgia and history is worth a share and there air museums all over the country that yield the same the same experience!

Great post civilsmoker, thanks for sharing your awesome adventure. I got to see the SR-71 up close at the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Ks. Absolutely amazing!

Great post civilsmoker, thanks for sharing your awesome adventure. I got to see the SR-71 up close at the Cosmosphere in Hutchinson, Ks. Absolutely amazing!
Thanks Colin and glad I can share! Looking at the SR-71 never gets old to me!

Reactions: Colin1230
Before there was a Spectre, there was Puff the Magic Dragon! As a child, I was in awe of the idea of Spooky while watching John Wayne's The Green Berets with my dad. Then to see how far along the idea has come with the AC 130! So awesome!
I listen to a podcast (and have his books) from a MACV SOG veteran John Stryker Meyer. They talk many times of a Spooky saving their tails while "across the fence" on clandestine missions in Laos and Cambodia! One of the missions that always stands out to me, he walked in the gunship to mere yards at night while on the radio and a strobe in his cut down m79. Then another was on scene by the time the first was out of ordinance!

Before there was a Spectre, there was Puff the Magic Dragon! As a child, I was in awe of the idea of Spooky while watching John Wayne's The Green Berets with my dad. Then to see how far along the idea has come with the AC 130! So awesome!
I listen to a podcast (and have his books) from a MACV SOG veteran John Stryker Meyer. They talk many times of a Spooky saving their tails while "across the fence" on clandestine missions in Laos and Cambodia! One of the missions that always stands out to me, he walked in the gunship to mere yards at night while on the radio and a strobe in his cut down m79. Then another was on scene by the time the first was out of ordinance!
The mini gun spinning up is just an awesome scary thing!!!
Pretty cool pictures. About 10 years ago they had some old bombers on dispaly at our local airport. Took to kid to go see them. The pilots & crew were very excited to show off their planes.
View attachment 697301View attachment 697302View attachment 697303
Way cool! Those are some really clean aircraft!

Just wanted to share some food pics…..we like getting new ideas from new places when we vaca……

Dungeness Deviled Eggs and Seaweed Salad!!!
IMG_8629.jpeg

Seared scallops on a seared polenta cake with corn purée seared bacon with popcorn and micro greens…..
IMG_8646.jpeg

IMG_8647.jpeg

I’m not 100% what these are but found them all over a drift log on the beach……BUT I am having a strange fear of an Alien exiting my chest while eating……
IMG_8666.jpeg

Just some shots of the beach tonight…..no tellum point……not a person in sight….
IMG_8656.jpeg

IMG_8657.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky