Little Help with Temperature on MES 30" Needed.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

THW

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 2, 2018
Indiana
Hi all,

I have a brand new MES 30" gen 2.5 smoker that I an seasoning as I type.

I set the temperature to wide open which is 275 degrees and set the timer for 3 hours. When there is one hour left, I plan to start the AMNPS with some Hickory pellets so it will get some smoke for the last hour.

Here is my question.

The digital readout on the smoker and the cell phone (Bluetooth) says the temperature is cruising between 272* and 275* The meat probe that is just in the storage place says the temp is 256*

Now I also have a Thermoworks Smoke. The (short) smoker internal temp probe says the smoker temperature is 283.8*. It is hanging in open air right about center in the smoker which is in-between the 2nd and 3rd shelf and is not touching anything.

When I finish the seasoning, I plan to smoke a rack of pork spare ribs. So I set the temperature so the "Smoke" probe temperature is reading 225* or the Smoker digital readout is on 225*. I know it is only an 8* difference but your know us newbies want everything perfect.

My thought would be to go by the "Smoke" probe temps for everything since it is supposed to be the most accurate.

Thanks for any comments.
Tom

Have you checked the temperature in your kitchen oven to see how close it is and how much it fluctuates ???

Reactions: THW
Sorry for the delay Dave but no, I have not. I am pretty sure our oven is off some on the low temp side.

Use your Thermoworks Smoke to monitor the meat,set the MES to 225* don't worry about the swings
For pulling start checking with a tooth pick when the meat reaches 195* F internal
Stop worrying or you won't be able to enjoy your dinner
Richie

Thanks for the reply Richie. The more I watch the temps on the two Units, (smoker digital readout and Thermoworks readout the more it worries me.

The smoker digital readout says the temperature is 280.3* inside when it is set at 275* That is close enough to work with.

But the Thermoworks Smoke says the temperature is went up to 333* and has now fallen off to 286*. I am not trusting the big swing.

Thermoworks Smoke use that for the meat don't worry
I have an MES 40 BT I do not rely on the control panel and I have never taken the meat probe out of its holder.Even if the CC goes up to 260* when set at 225* DO NOT try to adjust.Cook by the meat probe.
Richie

I gave everything about 15 minutes to settle down some.

Again, the MES is set for a temperature of 275*.

The readout for the smoker temperature is drifting between 271* and 275*. Very close (IF) it is accurate.

The Thermoworks Smoke "Smoker temperature probe" (short one) is now connected using the little bracket, to the back of the top shelf. It has fluctuated from 333* down to 286* (I had door open starting AMNPS pellets) and has gone back up to 314.7*. At this point, I do not think I can trust the Thermoworks Smoke. The MES should not be able to even heat that high and I should not get that much fluctuation.

I agree that I should cook by the meat probe. I just do not understand the huge fluctuation the "Smoke" Smoker probe is giving. I don't see how it could be reading 333* and then 314* in a smoker that is only capable of going to 275*. Makes it hard for me to trust.

Even so, I will use the "Smoke" meat probe and cook by what it tells me.

Ok Richie. I will do that before I start the ribs. Is there a thread that explains how to perform that test?

I agree that I should cook by the meat probe. I just do not understand the huge fluctuation the "Smoke" Smoker probe is giving. I don't see how it could be reading 333* and then 314* in a smoker that is only capable of going to 275*. Makes it hard for me to trust.

Even so, I will use the "Smoke" meat probe and cook by what it tells me.

Do the boiling water test eliminate the doubt
Richie
Ok Richie. I will do that before I start the ribs. Is there a thread that explains how to perform that test?
Bring a small pot of water up to a raging boil Hold the probe with a glove or pot holder put the tip into the water should read around 212*
For higher elevation it will be different refer to this link
https://www.thespruce.com/boiling-points-of-water-1328760
Richie

OK, I will give get that test done.

Per Google my house address is at an elevation of 840 ft. That should provide a boiling point themerature of 210.3*.

The Thermoworks Smoke meat probe was at exactly that so I have full confidence in the meat probe.

Not too sure about the air probe or if I can test it the same way so I didn't.

Thanks for the help

Tom

OK, I will give get that test done.

Per Google my house address is at an elevation of 840 ft. That should provide a boiling point themerature of 210.3*.

The Thermoworks Smoke meat probe was at exactly that so I have full confidence in the meat probe.

Not too sure about the air probe or if I can test it the same way so I didn't.

Thanks for the help

Tom
Tom that would be a good question for the manufacturer
Post the cook with some pics Good Luck
Richie

Don't worry about the temp swing... All smokers and ovens have temp swings... It's the average temp that cooks the meat... and the IT of the meat is what you look for to pull it out of the smoker, OR, the tooth pick test....

Ok Richie and thanks to all for the help.

I have the Spare Ribs in now with some of the Pitmaster pellets I got with the AMNPS. A mixture of Hickory, Apple and Cherry.

Since 6 hours will provide a late supper, I was worried about what the house foreman would say. Her comment was since I was doing the cooking and all the cleanup, she thought it was perfect. o_O

Well, three hours of smoke and it is wrapped in foil now with a splash of Apple juice.

It is dark now with snow on the ground and it seems like I have 3 left hands. everything got done but it took some effort. I am sure it will be a lot smoother the second time and when I have everything set up the way it should be.

The Air temp probe seems to be working correctly now. I checked it with the kitchen oven. I knew the oven was off a little but found out the oven had a 42 degree swing. I set the temp to 225* on the oven and the temp settled down, the variance went from 218* to 260*.

Ok, that is the up[date to this point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky