Liquid Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Whats this stuff call liquid smoke what cartoon was it used in. Not to good on modern stuff!! I guess I had some when I over cooked a lion and this brown stuff was running all over the place didn't make the loin taste to good either.  :laugh1:

Warren
A whole lion? Must have tasted nice. Where did you get it? Costco?

There is a very valuable use for liquid smoke. I use equal parts LS and white vinegar mixed together, then I soak my loin netting in it. Makes for a great release agent. Been doing it for years. Works on trussing twine as well.

I use LS when i'm doing small test batches of new sausage recipes. It's not the real thing but it gives you a pretty good idea of what it will taste like when you do smoke it.

Whats this stuff call liquid smoke what cartoon was it used in. Not to good on modern stuff!! I guess I had some when I over cooked a lion and this brown stuff was running all over the place didn't make the loin taste to good either. 
laugh1.gif

Warren
A whole lion? Must have tasted nice. Where did you get it? Costco?
HA HA FAT FINGER got in way again a whole lion didn't skin it either
laugh1.gif
but Sam's club does have whole loins for $1.68 right now.

Warren

I have liquid smoke that I use in the winter when the temperature is too cold. I haven't figured out how to keep any of my smokers at temp with out babysitting them in the winter and the wife says putting up a wind break is an eyesore. So I drop a bit of liquid smoke in marinades and sauces for meat I cook in the oven. It sure isn't the same but it works in a pinch when I'm craving that smokey flavor and it is 40 below out.

Last edited:
I use it when I crave some of Gary's Baked Beans, but don't have the time for a 4-hour smoke, or just want a single can for the two of us. I've adapted Gary's recipe. It works pretty well with that recipe because smoke is but one of the reasons his beans are so killer. A little LS goes a long way: just a drop or two for a can of beans.

Single can, in oven rather than smoker

1      15 or 16 ounce cans pork and beans (I used Bush's baked beans)

1-2 bacon slices

¼     medium onion

½     small jalapeño pepper (optional)

¼     cup brown sugar

¼     cup (Favorite BBQ sauce) Sweet Baby Ray’s is good

1      teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

½     teaspoon Black Pepper (coarse ground)

¼     teaspoon garlic powder

½     teaspoon Tony Chachere’s (or any other Cajun spice - I used Paul Prudhomme)

¼     teaspoon liquid smoke

I used some this past fall at a  smoked Salmon competition up in Oregon.   I drizzled a drop or two on a couple guy's fish when they weren't looking
yahoo.gif

No different than adding smoked salt, smoked paprika or anything similar. LS is just natural wood smoke condensed into a liquid and filtered. I use Colgin's which has great flavor but not as acrid and strong as some. According to Colgin's site, their method retains smoke's preservative properties and has been shown to inhibit the growth of Salmonella, Listeria and Ecoli 0157. I too use it when the family wants Pulled Pork and the weather is not cooperating. I add the LS to my finishing sauce and once mixed into the meat can fool most folks that it came out of the smoker...JJ

I have hard time understanding the outrage.

We sous vide , crock pot, bake (in oven), pressure cook, steam, poach here ....is not a purist forum.

Nothing wrong with using liquid smoke.

I use Colgin liquid smoke too. It comes in several wood smoke flavours. It is an ingredient just like all the others and it certainly has its place in the kitchen. It is great for adding that smokiness to sauces and gravies when cooked on the hob or in the oven. I haven't tried it in sous vide yet but it is something i will do at least once.

Last edited:
I have hard time understanding the outrage.

We sous vide , crock pot, bake (in oven), pressure cook, steam, poach here ....is not a purist forum.

Nothing wrong with using liquid smoke.
No outrage on my part:  I'm just not a big fan.  It's no different with most everything today in society where instantaneous is the order of the day....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky