Linguica/Longanesa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 16, 2016
Creswell OR
I recently got my brother hooked into sausage making with me and we just got done making 19 lbs of linguica. I had not made this kind before, so I looked up the recipe for ingredients and instructions in Rytek Kutas book (pg. 210). One interesting thing I noticed about this recipe is that this is dried then warm smoked- to only 135’.  (Yes, cure #1 is used). It does note in the book that it does not conform to FDA regs due to the low temps and listed as a “uncooked” sausage further noting risk of trichinae etc.  Is this typical for Linguica? We decided to cook/smoke fully (155-160’) on this batch. It just made more sense to be able to heat-and-eat and slice for snacks, or pizza or whatever and call it safe. I was also surprised there is no call for any spicy seasoning at all. So we added 2 TBS of cayenne for good measure! Cubed up  Pork shoulder ($1.34/lb), seasoned and let cure till next day, add water, wine and grind again (fine grind), stuffed into natural 32mm hog casing.

Dried in convection oven at 100’ overnight, then another 2 hours in the smoker with cherry pellets at 100’, then bumped incrementally to 155-160’ and sausage is firm. Cooled back to room temp in brown paper bags, then into fridge to rest further.. Man they look good! Smell great too! Can’t wait to taste!

Here are ½ of them in the convect oven. Man that worked great for drying the casings and bringing out the color even before the smoking.

On another note, he brought over his MES 30 digital 2.0 with remote and his new AMNPS. That way we could have 2 MES smokers going to get them done quicker. Got everything plugged in, set up and pre-heating and 5 minutes in as we are standing there BS’ing….. BZZZZT! Big ol electric arc coming out of the bottom rear of his smoker and the heating element no longer puts out heat. (Bummer!) Ended up smoking in 2 batches through the night and this morning. <yawn!>

More final shots to come.

Reactions: SmokyMose
Fresh out of the smoker. A little toasted sesame stir fried vegetables to go with it.

Crunchy fresh vegetables. Sweet savory smoky and spicy come together with the smoked sausage and sesame.

Sliced up veggies and sausage.

A ring of Linguica.

Sliced. Nice grind with a perfect spice and a very light apple smoke.

Sliced up veggies and sausage.

Salt pepper, mrs. Dash and agave

toasting sesame seeds on medium heat until golden then remove.

Thank you all for the comments and thanks for the point Smokey. I've been out of town and off the grid for the last week, so sorry for the delay in getting the money shots out.

Actually, this sausage making session was a last minute "impromptu" event. I didn't have time to plan or get any other ingredients. I did already look up and see the recipe Chase posted and I was short a few things for that one. I will definitely try that one the next time I make Linguica. I've got plans for making a bunch of beer brats next, and perhaps some spicy Italian also. These will just be fresh ones(uncured and not smoked). Probably going to go with Chef Willies recipe for the brats unless someone can convince me otherwise.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky