Liking a good blade...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I looked for a boning knife a couple years ago... I settled on the "update" knife... I find it to be a very good knife for the task...
21028ZupbuL._SX425_.jpg

Reactions: SonnyE
I looked for a boning knife a couple years ago... I settled on the "update" knife... I find it to be a very good knife for the task...
21028ZupbuL._SX425_.jpg

Holding an edge for you Dave?
I just wanted a big knife for cutting meat.
I'm pretty happy with my choice.

You've got me thinkin' (damn hard to do) about a scimitar blade now... I've got it in my "cool stuff" list on Amazon...
Holds an edge very well... I've got 2 steels and one of those hand held belt sanders for sharpening knives... It sure works well for boning meat... almost makes it easy....

Reactions: SonnyE
You've got me thinkin' (damn hard to do) about a scimitar blade now... I've got it in my "cool stuff" list on Amazon...
Holds an edge very well... I've got 2 steels and one of those hand held belt sanders for sharpening knives... It sure works well for boning meat... almost makes it easy....

If I lived closer, I bring it over so you could try it out.
Nothing like having your paw on one to decide before putting cash on the barrel head. ;)

I tried a bunch of my hunting knives in my hand before I found the one I bought. I was looking for the fattest handle in the lot, found it.

But now days they are probably pretty much all the same. A formed handle is a formed handle.
But I'd bet you would like it.

21028ZupbuL._SX425_.jpg

Looks just like the Fillet knife I use for almost everything, except for the color of the handle.

Bear

A knife is more than just an sharp edge. The weight, shape, balance, handle size, and many other factors affect how easily you can use it for a specific task. Most manufacturers, like Chicago, Victorinox, Henckles, etc., tend to follow a certain pattern for each knife style and, as a result, can make one really great knife (like the Victorinox 8" chef knife that so many people love), but not do such a great job on their other knives. You really need to look at all manufacturers for each knife style, and end up with a mix of manufacturers, if you want the best collection. The Cook's Illustrated people often provide what they consider to be the best knife collection, and it always includes knives from multiple manufacturers:

A la carte knife recommendations

But here is my main point: I have used almost all the knives mentioned in this thread, and what I have found is that the sharpening system you use can make almost any knife work well, although you are stuck with a lousy handle, bad balance, and weird shape if you choose the wrong knife.

So spend some time and money on a good sharpening system. Yes, I can already anticipate the reply I'll get from someone: "all you need is a good stone." I understand. That is how I sharpened knives for decades, and it obviously works. However, people who make their living designing and selling knives have invented something that does a MUCH better job than even the most skilled person can do with a stone.

I was given the Work Sharp, Ken Onion Edition for Christmas a year ago, and it changed everything for me. I have taken knives that I've had for forty years and which never took a good edge, and turned them into wonderful cutting instruments. I have sharpened knives for friends and neighbors, and I always get the same phone call: "this knife never cut like this, even when it was new."

Unlike the "Chef's Choice" and other sharpening gadgets, which attempt to let an unskilled operator get a good edge, this product requires a little bit of skill to use. However, because of the way it works, it will always out-perform the results that even a highly-skilled sharpener can get from a whetstone. This is due to the curved edge it creates; the way it perfectly holds the same angle for each pass; and the fact that you use multiple grits, eventually ending up with a pass that uses what amounts to the old barber's stropping strap.

Click on my link above and take a look. It is an expensive item, which is why the family got together to give it to me for Christmas, so it is not a casual purchase, but if you take your knives seriously, this is a must-have item, IMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: myownidaho
Sharpening makes all the difference in the world. I have the Edge Apex Pro system that I use about once a year. I use a ceramic hone and strops to clean them up as needed.

The Cold Steel line of kitchen knives holds a surprisingly good edge for the price. Generally I am not of fan of their knives but these are impressive. The grip is nice when wet. You may want to check these out.

For anyone still searching for knives, one thing I have not seen mentioned is the thickness and weight of the blade. Some people like a very stout blade , others like a very thin flexible blade. I have a number of high end blades, some medium priced ones, and some very inexpensive ones. I think it is extremely hard to buy online ( though I have quite a few times ) because some knifes just feel right in your hands, and others don't - but it is more a personal preference. I do agree that the type of steel is more important in determining how long the knife will stay sharp, since most steels can get pretty sharp when sharpened correctly.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky