Letting butt warm in cooler over night for a quick cook?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zanemoseley

Original poster
Oct 12, 2020
Got a 10 pound butt I'm cooking for Easter dinner about 2-3pm. I plan on going with turbo butt temps 325-350 and will wrap with foil at 160. Planning on flaming up at 5:30-6. Was thinking of placing it in a cooler at midnight before I go to bed to let the temps rise a bit to save time. Is this a horrible idea? Maybe even put a bit of ice in there and elevate the butt.

On the surface it not only sounds like a terrible idea, but a dangerous one as well. Meat should NEVER be kept at 40-140 deg for more than 4 hours.
Now if you are using the cooler because you are out of refrigerator space and plan to use plenty of ice to keep the temps down, that should work.
I generally turn a blind eye to those who tout allowing a steak come to room temp before cooking as we are talking less than an hour.
If you are thinking you might reduce the cooking time, not worth the risk, especially at the cooking temps you plan to use.

Ok I'll just pull it out of the fridge when I wake up. I'll let a steak warm some as you mentioned but guess I won't risk it with larger cuts at a longer time. Just didn't know if it was commonly done to save cooking time.

If you are aiming to bring the meat in the cooler above 40* ahead of putting it on the smoker, it's a horrible, and unsafe idea.

Reactions: Ringer and TNJAKE
I think the others covered you in the warm up. HOWEVER, only giving yourself 8-9hrs for a 10lb butt is asking for trouble even at high temp. I’d start it at midnight and keep it warm in the cooler if you insist on cooking the day of. Use a remote temp probe to alert big temp swings.

Smoke on Saturday evening. If you have the space, put a foil pan below the butt.
Don't sweat the stall, just get it well smoked.
Meat in pan and foil cover then into a 210° oven for an overnight finish.
210° will not overcook a butt. It is very well done and needs to cool to 170° or so before pulling apart.
I pull to remove the stringy connective tissues between the muscle groups

Priorities, don't be the cause for not having dinner on time for a group of people, and most certainly ditch the cooler idea. The 5:30-6am start is banking on a number of variables. Personally, as WaterRat WaterRat suggested, I'd start the night before. Would probably run at 265º and check first thing in the morning. By then It will have gathered sufficient smoke time, it should be at least 160º. Bring it in, dbl wrap in foil, place in an alum pan & put in the oven set for 325º-350º. This should get it done and allow time for the important rest.

Make sure you have a reporting thermometer that works and will wake you during the night if the temps become an issue.

#1. Your cooler idea is bad.
#2. Your plan of time & Temp is close, and probably make it, but it's not a sure thing.
#3. I would start earlier, or the night before. However if you smoke while sleeping, make sure your smoker is not close to anything that will burn (House, Garage, shed, Car, etc) if something happens with your smoker.

Bear

Reactions: schlotz
Thanks for the advice guys. Think I'm just gonna start it at midnight and go low and slow. I've got a Fireboard 2 so can set alerts on my phone. Can FTC till it's time to eat.

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky