Let's try this again.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richc

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Rochester NY
So I didn't have that great of luck with getting my GOSM smoker and I was about to give up on a smoker for a while. Last night my wife and I got a rare chance to go out to dinner and have some time away from the kids. We ended up doing a little shopping after and swung by Gander Mountian.. They had two large smokers there; the Smoke Vault 24 for $299 and the Smoke Hollow #6, which is 20" wide and 38" tall. That's the cheapest I've seen the Smoke Vault, but it's also the first time I've seen it in person, and I was a little underwhelmed with the construction. It was the same thin gauge sheet metal that was getting beat up in shipping with the GOSM big blocks I had shipped. In fact the Smoke Vault on the floor was pretty badly bent up too. 

The Smoke Hollow seemed like it was built much better`and from my rough measurements of a rack of ribs, it will still fit 2 racks of ribs on each rack without having to cut them in half. There wasn't a price on it and we had some other things to do so I check the price on the web later. It was $229 and I went back and picked it up today. The box was actually beat up worse than the two big blocks I received, but there wasn't as much as a scuff on any of the parts. The one issue is the same one that a lot of people have had with this smoker, and that's that it runs really hot. I've got an email into them for whatever they send out to fix it. 

All I have to do now is to actually smoke some food!

Last edited:
I have that same smoker and have been using it for 2 years now, i learned that on low it runs a little warm so i move my to the shade it stays right at 230 degrees. good luck and keep smoking!

Congrats on the free time with no kids, sometimes moments like that are hard to come by.

Also congrats on the new smoker. Hope you enjoy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky