Let's Make Salami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
First a word of caution.
If you are not versed on the makings of salami Please do not attempt this. My recipe is for using cure 1 as you will not need a dedicated dry cure fridge or drying box with controlled temp and humidity. For that you will need to use cure 2. This recipe will handle either cures. If you have the dedicated dry chamber yes use it.

I make no claims that this process will work for you as it does for me.

In South Africa there is a process called Drowors, This is along those lines but more of a German recipe.

You will need the following.

70 % lean pork (700g)
30 % pork back fat (300g)

If your going to use game meat use your own judgment on meat to fat ratio.

If you have no pork back fat just use fresh ground pork butt @1000g
(Store bought pork butt may be injected so you will have a possible off taste in final product) Your call.

Spices per the kgram of ground meat

21.5 g Non iodized or fine ground kosher salt (normal table grind)
2.5 g Cure 1
8 g paprika (your choice reg or hot)
3 g Dextrose (dont skip it)
2 g pepper (black or white)
2 g garlic powder (not salt)

After my mix this is going in fridge covered overnight.

Conditioned sheep casing (flushed and rinsed)

If your going to grind your meat, cut normally to fit your grinder, add dry to the meat then grind, med or fine plate (your choice)

1. After the grind mix by hand.

2. When you're ready to stuff, make one continual rope. You can twist into any length you like. Poke any air pockets with a sausage pricker or needle. Yes you can tie in between the links if you like so they dont unravel.

3. Hang the sticks for 24 hours at room temperature 20 – 25 C° (67 – 77°F). The bathroom or basement usually works very well. If you want to be on the safe side, you can sprinkle/spray them with a little water from time to time.

4. After 24 hours you can hang the salami sticks in a cooler place. My Experience shows that anything below 15 degrees Celsius (59 Fahrenheit) will work. If you don’t have a suitable basement, you can even use the refrigerator here. However it is important that the salami sticks do not touch anything.
The ripening time depends on your desired degree of hardness. For me, 2 weeks are perfect. But this is a matter of taste.

If you let them dry for a shorter time, they’ll be more like Mettwurst. The longer you let them hang, the drier/harder they will be. It’s best to check the hardness once every few days to get a feel for it.

After the process has completed and you're happy with what you have made you can vac seal and fridge for 3 weeks. Vac seal and freezer is 2 months.

Try to only vac seal 4-6 links so when you open the van your or friends will eat them up. Open shelf life is only couple days ziplock.

Here it is.
salstix.jpg

salstix1.jpg

I put the dry in a ziplock to smash out any clumps, Even a new container of Dextrose can have clumps.
salstix2.jpg

Ready for mixing.
salstix3.jpg

salstix4.jpg

Mixed now cover and fridge.
salstix5.jpg

Interesting, my South African friend was saying they always left the pork out of droewors because straight beef seemed to keep better. They were a lot leaner as well, 90/10 or better.

It certainly looks good to me though!

Interesting, my South African friend was saying they always left the pork out of droewors because straight beef seemed to keep better. They were a lot leaner as well, 90/10 or better.

It certainly looks good to me though!
Right

When I make drywors I only use beef or game if I have any, never pork

Here they are, I just looped em.

One thing I will not buy sheep casings from the local butcher, why cut them at 18" length?

24 hour hang time then into the fridge.

IMG-1777.jpg

IMG-1779.jpg

Reactions: tbern
Had to put the rest of the meat I had in the stuffer canister in fridge until the other 2 lengths of casings soaked.

IMG-1781.jpg

Reactions: chopsaw
Dont know how many of you have seen this or have one.
LEM silicone tube brush. Works great.

Going to toss all my bristle brushes and go back to Rural King and see if they have the other 2, on sale for $5.99ea.

IMG-1782.jpg

Had to put the rest of the meat I had in the stuffer canister in fridge until the other 2 lengths of casings soaked.
Love that pic because it shows the effects of drying at room temp .
Going to toss all my bristle brushes and go back to Rural King and see if they have the other 2, on sale for $5.99ea.
I'll be buy RK on Tuesday . I'll look for those brushes . Better option for sure .

Watching this thread. This will make it easier.

Does your RK have chicks?
Our local one had a fair amount of eggers and meaters before Christmas.
My wife loves RK as it is the only place we have found her preferred laundry soap, Era.

Reactions: kuroki
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky