Learning to Make Good Sandwich Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
yeah its similar to the Lexington/Piedmont but a bit thicker, however not Memphis thick or sweet. ive looked at dozens of recipes online and no one quite nails it.

I made 6 different batches last night. testing them out today on a shoulder I have on the smoker to see if one gets close.

It really surprises me that of all the regional varieties people talk about online, west TN (not Memphis) isn't ever one that is mentioned.

From the great one:

Reactions: tnjrb
i'll give you the recipe to a sauce my wife and a couple of freinds ask me to make for them ( i like a different one so its just a matter of personnel taste )

1cup white vinagar
i cup catsup
1cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
mix it all in a sauce pan and let it simmer on low heat to blend and reduce
you can adjust any of the ingredients to taste
this is about as basic as you can get but my wife loves it
to give it a smoky flavor you can add a bit of liquid smoke
( i like to use powdered smoke )

Reactions: tnjrb
I googled again and found a thread here and ChefJJ said to search for West Tennessee Mutton Dip Recipes. Looks like it might actually be a Kentucky thing. This one looks good to me and can tell you as a pepper aficionado that since the recipe specs fresh ground pepper and that much, it's gonna have a nice bite. Totally making this...

https://www.thespruceeats.com/owensboro-mutton-barbecue-sauce-333648

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky