Last straw with GMG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Auger motor appears to have sharted the bed - Wish Lone Star had near term availability. Think Rec Teq is going to get my business...

I could not keep my cc running . Bought a Memphis 4 years ago and have run thousands of pounds of pellets through it. Not one problem yet

All the cheap chinese-based units (Traeger, PitBoss, Masterbuilt, etc) tend to use long augers and, unless you leave pellets in them when stored in humid weather, they never seem to jam. I've got two of them and can tell you the ID of the auger tube is ~1/8" larger than the OD of the auger. Things can differentially expand from heat, even warp, and they don't tend to jam because the tolerances are so loose. Basically as long as the slop in the parts is bigger than a pellet diameter things continue to get pushed along just fine.

So I gotta' wonder if the GMG isn't toleranced tighter and that's why several of you have issues? I believe most of the GMG line is designed around 12V dc electricals even though only the Daniel Boone/Trek is marketed as truly portable? So swapping in a chinese drivetrain just isn't going to work with their controls. Plus, the wattage of the low-voltage auger motor is probably less so when things get "sticky" you just don't have the torque to clear the jam.

If you have a GMG, I'd sure recommend cleaning out the hopper towards the end of your cook and then letting the thing burn out the remaining pellets so you store the thing away empty. Yes, that's a little more involved and you'll waste a couple minutes next time to "prime the pump" but it's probably worth the effort. Also filtering out any powder/dust towards the bottom of a bag of pellets may be worth the effort as well. Not a concern with 120VAC chinese drives but possibly so with GMG.

I have a GMG DB WiFi that is five years old. It has produced some great cooks. I haven't had any problems with jams but I do hear some ferocious crunching on occasion. That being said it hasn't been smooth sailing all along. I replaced the fan and the ignitor due to tripping breakers (aggravating when you have a prime brisket ready to go). Occasionally the WiFi will not connect and the DB has to be reset to correct the issue. I replaced the drip pans due to some rust. The shelf and hopper lid were replaced under warranty due to rust and the new ones they sent did the same, just not as badly. The lid has some surface rust that started early on that I just live with. The DB is under a covered patio with a GMG cover and is out of the wind, rain and sun. The problem I seem to be fighting consistently is grease leaks. Everything has been deep cleaned including the smoke stack. The grease pans are installed properly but it still drips underneath after a couple of cooks. It's been a nice run but I think it might be time to move along and find a replacement. I am going to do a lot of research before my next purchase.

I have a GMG DB WiFi that is five years old. It has produced some great cooks. I haven't had any problems with jams but I do hear some ferocious crunching on occasion. That being said it hasn't been smooth sailing all along. I replaced the fan and the ignitor due to tripping breakers (aggravating when you have a prime brisket ready to go). Occasionally the WiFi will not connect and the DB has to be reset to correct the issue. I replaced the drip pans due to some rust. The shelf and hopper lid were replaced under warranty due to rust and the new ones they sent did the same, just not as badly. The lid has some surface rust that started early on that I just live with. The DB is under a covered patio with a GMG cover and is out of the wind, rain and sun. The problem I seem to be fighting consistently is grease leaks. Everything has been deep cleaned including the smoke stack. The grease pans are installed properly but it still drips underneath after a couple of cooks. It's been a nice run but I think it might be time to move along and find a replacement. I am going to do a lot of research before my next purchase.
Let us know what PG'S your considering . Many variables when considering a new grill. Sounds like the Cookshack is one of the best coming from commercial cooks and guys that compete. I never seen one but that's guys that where using Memphis PG's to compete. The only thing I can say bad about my Memphis is the cost. Like said Iv run many thousands of pounds of pellets through with zero problems and the same with friends using then for years.

Reactions: jbwiljr
My Camp Chef 24 has had no issues, I'm around 40 cooks and 4 years in.
In addition to a bunch of ribs and pork butts along with hot and fast briskets, I've done several 24 hour runs on super low and slow briskets that came out great.
Of course I do empty the bin and auger after each cook so maybe that's why it's reliable.
I don't sift anything, my Camp Chef just eats'um up with no problems whatsoever.
I've never had a jam or failure to feed pellets, and I keep them in the hopper years round. Even in the winter time with my cooker uncovered except for the covered patio that it sits under, I've never had a swelling pellet issue, Thank Dog.

Dan

And the hopper motor is dead. Once I have this in hand I’ll pretty much have a new smoker….
Got it running. Also took apart two auger motors. The plastic gear off the main motor drive is stripped on both. Pretty weak design on the motor mfg. Anyone find one that's got an improved gearbox?
gearbox.jpg

Got it running. Also took apart two auger motors. The plastic gear off the main motor drive is stripped on both. Pretty weak design on the motor mfg. Anyone find one that's got an improved gearbox?
View attachment 507457

I’m not sure if the plastic gear is a universal thing with all auger motors…
I’ve used this auger motor in my Pellet Pro Austin XL upgrade for the past two years without any issues. https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/3rpm-auger-motor-made-in-the-usa/
The Auger motor is from SmokeDaddy and it’s American made. It’s available in 2 or 3 rpm speeds as well. Here’s a link to contact them https://smokedaddyinc.com/contact-us/
If you have any questions, just give them a call and anyone in customer service can answer any questions you may have or ask for Dennis... He’s the owner and also a member here as well. SmokeDaddyinc is a great family owned company to do business with. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: laxpatrick
Your reducing gearbox may be interchangeable with a SmokeDaddy. If you send Dennis some pics he can probably say for sure or let you try it out with a return possibility.
But I'd caution about the drive motor itself. A lot of GMG products use 12-volt DC based electricals, even when they're plugged into the wall for power, since some of their models and meant for tailgating and 12V cigar lighter power. SD products (including auger motors) are probably 120Vac powered.

You may also be able to harvest the gearbox from one of the chinese auger drives that are now under $20:

Your reducing gearbox may be interchangeable with a SmokeDaddy. If you send Dennis some pics he can probably say for sure or let you try it out with a return possibility.
But I'd caution about the drive motor itself. A lot of GMG products use 12-volt DC based electricals, even when they're plugged into the wall for power, since some of their models and meant for tailgating and 12V cigar lighter power. SD products (including auger motors) are probably 120Vac powered.

You may also be able to harvest the gearbox from one of the chinese auger drives that are now under $20:
It’s definitely a 110v.
Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky