Last smoke of the season....maybe!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shaneyb72

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 11, 2014
We had a beautiful weekend in WNY, so I decided to smoke what I had been saving up in the freezer!
I fired up the RT-700 with hickory pellets. I also loaded up a smoke tube with pecan and peach pellets.
I smoked 3 racks of baby back ribs, 5 drumsticks, 3 chicken thighs, and 3 beef short ribs.
Everything came out great and most is now wrapped and packed back in the freezer.

Attachments

• 3A9B9B93-57FA-4784-A229-589BA9631F05.jpeg
    3A9B9B93-57FA-4784-A229-589BA9631F05.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 22
  • 73EBC3BA-4001-46B6-98FA-BB2F3DF8DAF3.jpeg
    73EBC3BA-4001-46B6-98FA-BB2F3DF8DAF3.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 48E006D5-13E8-4E3F-A6B3-1F5CF4FF7D5F.jpeg
    48E006D5-13E8-4E3F-A6B3-1F5CF4FF7D5F.jpeg
    143.9 KB · Views: 23
I did my last smoke Friday. Did a 9.6 pound butt and took it to 209 and shredded it up. Vac packed and in the freezer for some winter enjoyment.

Having lived in MN all my life you learn to adapt. I have smoked when the temp was over 100F and when its been -40F. Blizzards are a great time to run a smoker, not like you can do anything else with your day anyways! I do have the insulated blanket for my Pit Boss which helps a lot.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Northwest Iowa here and looking forward to cold weather so I can have time for more smoking! Doesn't have to be real soon...too much outside work to be done yet, but still kinda excited!
All your food looks great!

Ryan

I’m a year round smoker here in Ohio too. Not gonna day I smoke in snow storms but I sure do smoke plenty of time in the cold.

I don't stop for the winter.
Cold is challenging. The #@$% wind is the worst.
Kettle takes more coal for a winter cook, but it is reliable.
Never used the offset in winter, but it is now gone after getting a pellet pooper.
This is my first full winter with the pellet pooper. I've got a Harbor Freight welding blanket to help.

Yes thirdeye thirdeye , the expression "too cold to snow" is true

There is never a season to smoke, it’s a year round event for me!

don’t get me wrong I like my wife’s crock pot but only like it enough to get me through the week!
With ya on that one. Good "warm ya up chow" but can't beat some good smoked winter grub.

I spend the winter in FL where I don’t have a smoker...thus the “last smoke of the season” for me

Remember there is no bad weather only poor clothing.
100% exactly. I try and tell my wife the same thing, but her "fashionable" jackets are just that.

There is a season for barbecue? This picture was taken at -25° (yes that's minus 25° F) so anything is possible.
Smoking in -25F?! Trooper! It seems stick or kamodo coal would be the only way to smoke in the minus temps. Never tried it myself.

Living in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains in northern Georgia means smoking and grilling all year round. I love it.
I may use more pellets in the cold months; but that averages out in the warm ones. Grilling dinner in the dark is more challenging; but I have lights for that.
Glad that all the last smokers are filling up freezers for later.

Well down here in Florida the smoking season is just beginning. It’s just to darn hot to tend a fire in the summer here. So I did a rack of ribs last night, in the advance of the tropical storm. I really like the ribs the next day cold, kinda like cold fried chicken. So that will be dinner tonight!
Al

Reactions: Brokenhandle
I spend the winter in FL where I don’t have a smoker...thus the “last smoke of the season” for me
Ah, the rest of the story!
As SmokinAl SmokinAl reminds, winter in Florida IS smoking season. Need to get a smoke for your winter stay?

Friend of mine winters in Florida. He at least got a pellet pooper for winter. I just turned him on to use a smoke tube.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky