Landjäger Dry Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daggerdoggie

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
Upstate, NY
I had this sausage over 15 years ago when a butcher near here used to sell it.  He went out of business  about ten years ago and I was not able to find it before, so I started to make it myself.  I have made it several times with varying success.  My biggest problem has been cold smoking the sausage.

I have a Brinkmann Smoke 'n Grill, which I have had for over ten years, use it year round and love it, but I have not been able to keep temperatures low enough for cold smoking.  These sausages need to be smoked at 90 to 100 degrees.  I would have limited success and then the fire would spike, cooking the sausage.

I bought a Smoke Daddy smoke generator and hopefully, I'll get better results. I made some simple modifications to the smoker for now to see how it works.

I removed the damper door, one bolt, and cut a scrap piece of 1/2" plywood to the shape of the fire box. I then attached it inside the box with screws and fender washers.  I got that idea somewhere on this forum.

b6d1220b_IMG_2555.jpg

dcaa0a17_IMG_2556.jpg

I then made simple sausage racks...I mean really simple.  No cost, little time.

0dc4f1d2_IMG_2553.jpg

bfba42ce_IMG_2558.jpg

The landjagers are in process: Pressing and fermenting.

5dc788cb_IMG_2559.jpg

be60bda8_IMG_2560.jpg

they are now air drying for a few hours:

ee733b68_IMG_2561.jpg

...then back to 80 degrees to ferment for another day or two.

I'm no expert at this, but I have tried several recipes with both good and not so good results. It's a multi-day process with a fair amount of time commitment, which I never seem to have enough.  Hopefully, this time, with true cold smoking, will yield good results.

Well, the sausage is in the smoker for the first try with the new Smoke Daddy.

Installed:

23b1824d_IMG_2567.jpg

Fired up:

96c755fb_IMG_2568.jpg

Testing and getting the smoker dialed in:

c802226a_IMG_2570.jpg

ba8d9dc8_IMG_2572.jpg

Sausage on:

0a61bbe5_IMG_2573.jpg

574cfb84_IMG_2575.jpg

Smokin'

971e6034_IMG_2577.jpg

The smoke generator is not really adding any heat to the food side of my smoker.  It's about 92 degrees here right now and the thermometer is reading under 100 degrees, which is lower than it was when I added the smoker since it was in the sun at the time.

0d648d83_IMG_2571.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that really cool are you going to dry cure them? and if so do you have a charcuterie chamber? am in the process of throwing one together. Any way i cant wait to see how those sausages turn out!!

Wow that really cool are you going to dry cure them? and if so do you have a charcuterie chamber? am in the process of throwing one together. Any way i cant wait to see how those sausages turn out!!
I try to do things simple if I can, but I do like building new toys.  Problem is, with all my hobbies, I have too much stuff. Instead of a charcuterie chamber. I have a basement bathroom that, if I keep the door closed, will stay below 65 degree's even in the summer. I shut the door and control the humidity with a dehumidifier or, if needed, wet towels hanging in the shower.  It's crude, but for the most part, it works as long as I can check it every day.

Cool your lucky having a bathroom that remains at that temp! i have a mini fridge that am going to use. well i cant wait to see how your sausage turns out.
Looks-Great.gif

I do have a dry fermenting fridge with temp and humi controls but its in use right now.

Like most of the country right now, it's hot...too hot for me and my "cool" bathroom drying chamber is getting too warm and such high humidity that my little dehumidifier cannot keep up.  I moved my sausages to my "cheese cave," a small chest freezer in my not-so-cool basement that I can convert to fridge temperatures.

3196caf3_IMG_2585.jpg

It seems to be working well with my bacon at the bottom at around 42 degrees, the sausage hanging at the top, with the door slightly open it's 66 degrees with 55% humidity.  The only problem is I have to wipe out the condensation that collects a the bottom each day. I just do that when I turn the bacon.

46d63256_IMG_2586.jpg

A couple of cans of beer seem to work perfectly to hold the door ajar:

9def9bbb_IMG_2588.jpg

I've not tried this before with curing sausages, but for the last two days, it seems to hold the temperature and humidity steady. I think I may just keep it this way even if it cools down in my basement to see how it works.

You can pump the R/H up by placing kosher or rock salt in a foil pan and just barely covering with water and put in there.

looking good so far..... How about fillin out your profile.........................
icon14.gif

Thanks for the mod ideas.  I'm making some homemade hotdogs soon, and I only have a barrel smoker, so I've been trying to figure out how to hang them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky