1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Featured Lamb prosciutto “on the hoof”

Discussion in 'Curing' started by sea2ski, Oct 9, 2019.

1. sea2ski

sea2ski Newbie

Decided to do another update since it has been sooooo long. Lamb prosciutto “on the hoof”. The lamb was locally purchased at 4 weeks old and ran around in my friends backyard over the summer until it was time to be processed. No pesticides or antibiotics and all grass feed.
    29AC6799-BD12-441F-83CE-3DFBEEF5FF11.jpeg

Actually cured both hind legs. After curing, They were cased in a pig bladder one day apart from another.
    9998382E-2398-4E0B-94F9-E041510F9DCE.jpeg

4BB6422B-BCA9-45D9-83FF-F7E5FBA72DEC.jpeg

A few months later, Sliced thin, the very minor case hardening was not noticed.
    7062587C-C428-4F17-BBBA-CB3A75FC681C.jpeg

Not knowing how it was really going to be, I served it with some other of my cured meats. Those that could get over the fact it was carved from a leg with the hoof on it, thought it was the best of them all. The rosemary/garlic was the clear winner over the fennel/pepper.

82048AF3-B49D-4568-B287-4D807605F34E.jpeg

FDD28CAA-157F-4C7F-BC02-200FD021585E.jpeg

I have to start on the dry cured sausages next. Never did one and am hesitant because it is new to me. I have read a few books, so I feel as informed as I can be. Wish me luck!!

2. jcam222

jcam222 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

That is straight up amazing!! Big points to you.

JC in GB likes this.
  3. smokerjim

smokerjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

nice, looks amazing

JC in GB likes this.
  4. fivetricks

fivetricks Master of the Pit

I wish I had friends like you. Big like.

JC in GB likes this.
  5. SFLsmkr1

SFLsmkr1 Legendary Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

WOW

This is AWESOME

6. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Beautiful.

7. S-met

S-met Smoke Blower

Thats a thing of beauty. I have no qualms about the hoof being attached. If you brought it to my house, I'd probably start making soup stock.

JC in GB likes this.
  8. amazing texture and colour.... very, very good job...BTW... That dry aged bacon seems pretty confortable on that cheese board...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019 at 6:04 AM
  9. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Appears you have the humidity and temp down perfect.. Excellent job...

JC in GB likes this.
  10. uncle eddie

uncle eddie Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow...thanks for posting. Very cool. Like

11. sandyut

sandyut Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

UNREAL! WOW! HUGE LIKE! I love lamb and prosciutto! Look like a another keyboard drooled on...

OVER THE TOP!

JC in GB likes this.
  12. Chef deFonte

Chef deFonte Newbie

Is there a "green with envy" emoji?

JC in GB likes this.
  13. pushok2018

pushok2018 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Your charcuterie looks amazing! Great job!
    - ditto on that.
    I am sure you will be just fine with dry curing sausages....

14. Wow very impressive!

15. sea2ski

sea2ski Newbie

Thank you for all the nice comments everyone. I will state I was proud of the results. When I first tasted it, I thought it was a winner. Then others gave it a go and when one after another took a slice chewed it two or three times then stopped and looked at me, it was confirmed.

This spring I might need to get a few more animals. This is definitely going into a rotation.

chilerelleno and JC in GB like this.
  16. chilerelleno

chilerelleno Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Simply gorgeous pics of some finest examples of the art of charcuterie I've ever seen posted here.

Great work all around.

Like!

17. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

S2S, Wow! , Nice job on the prosciutto, a few pics of your curing chamber would be nice to see also! LIKE

18. tropics

tropics Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That looks great!! Try the UMAI bags for the sausage.LIKES
    Richie

19. sea2ski

sea2ski Newbie

My curing chamber is like many here. Just an over under fridge with a humidifier using inkbirds. No air exchange except me opening it when I walk by it. It is in the basement so it is a special trip. Right now it has four Mangalica pork cheeks hanging.

20. Poor little lamb, all he wanted to do was frolic in the backyard :) just kidding.
    Excellent job on the prosciutto, it looks delicious. If you can do dry cured
    meats like this, dry cured salami will be a walk in the park.

Cal