Lamb prosciutto “on the hoof”

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sea2ski

Original poster
Feb 23, 2017
Decided to do another update since it has been sooooo long. Lamb prosciutto “on the hoof”. The lamb was locally purchased at 4 weeks old and ran around in my friends backyard over the summer until it was time to be processed. No pesticides or antibiotics and all grass feed.
29AC6799-BD12-441F-83CE-3DFBEEF5FF11.jpeg

Actually cured both hind legs. After curing, They were cased in a pig bladder one day apart from another.
9998382E-2398-4E0B-94F9-E041510F9DCE.jpeg

4BB6422B-BCA9-45D9-83FF-F7E5FBA72DEC.jpeg

A few months later, Sliced thin, the very minor case hardening was not noticed.
7062587C-C428-4F17-BBBA-CB3A75FC681C.jpeg

Not knowing how it was really going to be, I served it with some other of my cured meats. Those that could get over the fact it was carved from a leg with the hoof on it, thought it was the best of them all. The rosemary/garlic was the clear winner over the fennel/pepper.

82048AF3-B49D-4568-B287-4D807605F34E.jpeg

FDD28CAA-157F-4C7F-BC02-200FD021585E.jpeg

I have to start on the dry cured sausages next. Never did one and am hesitant because it is new to me. I have read a few books, so I feel as informed as I can be. Wish me luck!!

Thats a thing of beauty. I have no qualms about the hoof being attached. If you brought it to my house, I'd probably start making soup stock.

Reactions: JC in GB
UNREAL! WOW! HUGE LIKE! I love lamb and prosciutto! Look like a another keyboard drooled on...

OVER THE TOP!

Reactions: JC in GB
Thank you for all the nice comments everyone. I will state I was proud of the results. When I first tasted it, I thought it was a winner. Then others gave it a go and when one after another took a slice chewed it two or three times then stopped and looked at me, it was confirmed.

This spring I might need to get a few more animals. This is definitely going into a rotation.

S2S, Wow! , Nice job on the prosciutto, a few pics of your curing chamber would be nice to see also! LIKE

S2S, Wow! , Nice job on the prosciutto, a few pics of your curing chamber would be nice to see also! LIKE

My curing chamber is like many here. Just an over under fridge with a humidifier using inkbirds. No air exchange except me opening it when I walk by it. It is in the basement so it is a special trip. Right now it has four Mangalica pork cheeks hanging.

Poor little lamb, all he wanted to do was frolic in the backyard :) just kidding.
Excellent job on the prosciutto, it looks delicious. If you can do dry cured
meats like this, dry cured salami will be a walk in the park.

Cal

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky