Lamb prosciutto “on the hoof”

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The part about dry cured sausages that still remains a bit of a mystery to me is the acid component. With drying whole muscles, I get the salt, humidity, airflow, cure etc... with sausages I understand fat ratio and how some seasonings can go a long way and others you need much more of. But the acid content is what is new to me and I am not quite grasping. I guess like everything else, I should just jump right in.

Hi sea2ski
I completely understand how you feel, I was the same way at one time, I was terrified I would do something wrong and poison myself or somebody else, but after reading about it for years I just said screw it, im going to do it.

For the most part I use bactofirm LHP, it is easy to use and gives you a fast
Cure time, you can have a batch of fully cured salami done in three weeks
or less. Here is a basic approach to a cured salami that I use, just add whatever spices you desire and proceed.
Len Polli has many dry cured salami recipes on his site that can give you some ideas on what you wat to try.

Cal

Attachments

• 1DF06169-8179-4628-9DFA-C8154C35F41E.jpeg
    1DF06169-8179-4628-9DFA-C8154C35F41E.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky