Knives for cutting meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I sure do, I have a Victorinox 10" thin blade, they make a thick blade but for slicing I love the thin blade. easy to sharpen holds a edge and just plain works for pretty cheap. you can spend more $ but not sure others will be worth the added money. ymmv , its kind of a curved blade not a flat straight edge, it doesn't have a model number on it but it will last longer than I will

the 10" on this set looks to be the correct profile, good looking set, wish I hade the $ to buy it now lol

Reactions: negolien
https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling-four-star-8-inch-chefs-knife-31071-203/31071-203-0.html

This has been my go meat processing knife for 25 years! I've processed deer, elk, moose, hogs, fish, birds....you name it (I self process all my animals). I actually have a pare of them as well as a 6" (and about 15 others of them), they have a 10" as well, but for me the 8 is the perfect balance. It keeps an edge and is small enough for getting around bones and such, but it is big enough to get nice clean cuts on big pieces (IE moose and elk quarters).

That said, a knife is a pretty personal tool that you have to decide for yourself!......

My only advice, Do not buy a set.
Zwilling, Wusthof, Victorinox and others all make nice cutlery.
Problem is I don't personally like all the knives in their lines.

Well said.
My thoughts almost exactly.

Only other advice, the knife for me is not necessarily the knife for you. Balance, size, weight, feel, grip. The best thing you can do is hold it in your hand.

Reactions: Will Squared
You can call me old, lazy and cheap but if I can't get it done w/ these, I don't need to be doing it.

20190927_041103.jpg

A couple of years ago my wife bought me a kitchen scissors' made by Zwilling, with out a doubt the worst set in my kitchen, every time you make a cut and close the handle all the way they lock, I cant train myself to take little snips to stop locking the handles , also they don't come apart to clean, they rarely get used .

Last edited:
Yup probably something similar to the above is all I need. Something for cutting thru roasts and ribs and something to chop lots of onions LOL....Probably going with the below..Do I just need an 8 inch chefs for chopping lots of onions?

Do I just need an 8 inch chefs for chopping lots of onions?

Got tired of my wife using my 10" on a dang plastic board, bought her own 8" chefs knife, I hated it.

Kind of partial to my 6" and 10". The steel and both Old Hickory's were issued to me in Feb. '67, survived a lot of moves. Made the maple board about 20yrs ago and bought the 12" Viktor for slabbing salmon about 6 yrs ago. Forgot to add my 4" Rapala filet knife for boning out turkeys.

I don't buy "fancy", I buy "practical". But the other knives do look perddy.

Yup probably something similar to the above is all I need. Something for cutting thru roasts and ribs and something to chop lots of onions LOL....Probably going with the below..Do I just need an 8 inch chefs for chopping lots of onions?

Choices Choices!!!!!!!

Even though I have LOTS o knives in the kitchen I am currently in the process of making my own 4 piece set.....It will have a 7.75 inch Chef, 5.5 inch Mini Chef, 7.75 inch Slicer/Carver, 5.5 inch Mini Slicer/Carver....They will be out of AEB-L SS with a cryo treatment to target a RH of 60. They will have stabilized two tone hickory & mesquite handles with black G-10 and bass pins!!! I actually have wooden replicas I have been testing for comfort and function......Like I said a knife is a very personal choice!

• Love
Got tired of my wife using my 10" on a dang plastic board, bought her own 8" chefs knife, I hated it.

Kind of partial to my 6" and 10". The steel and both Old Hickory's were issued to me in Feb. '67, survived a lot of moves. Made the maple board about 20yrs ago and bought the 12" Viktor for slabbing salmon about 6 yrs ago. Forgot to add my 4" Rapala filet knife for boning out turkeys.

I don't buy "fancy", I buy "practical". But the other knives do look perddy.

You use your k-bars? lol man and I thought I was old...

• Haha
Reactions: martin1950
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky