Knife Used to Slice Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoffa2651

Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Boylston, MA
Anyone have a knife they would recommend to slice ribs? I feel like mine isnt doing the trick as it isnt giving me a clean cut and ribs are kind of falling apart when I cut. Doesnt make for a good presentation

Other than sharp, it isn't the knife but who wields it. 20 years as a Pro Chef, I can do ANYTHING with a 10" Chef Knife. A Boning knives work well if you cut like I do. A bit unconventional but, I run a boning knife, down and against both sides of every other bone and remove it. This gives double cut and very meaty ribs. 3-4 of these is plenty of meat for my big eaters.
A medium/light, slicing/chopping #3 Cleaver does a great job. They are heavy enough to remove the cartilage of a full rack and light enough to cut individual ribs. Place the point at one end a rock the cleaver through the ribs meat. Cuts very clean not slicing back and forth. They can be gotten pretty cheap in a Asian Grocery.
A sharp 10" Chef's Knife can be used in a similar manner to cleave through the ribs meat...JJ

I've been known to whip out the old electric knife on occasion.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky