Kippered Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Recent thread by S Smokin' Penguin " peppered dried beef " caught my eye . Decided to give it a try . So I took some trim from the beef knuckle I posted and gave it a shot .
Trim weighed out at 1 pound . I used 1 tablespoon of Morton's Tender quick , 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar , and some cracked black pepper . Everything in the bag and in a 36 degree fridge for 6 days . Day 6 I took it out of the bag and rinsed it off . I never need to soak the TQ , because I use the correct amount .
Dried off , on a rack and back in the fridge over night .
Next morning I set the MES 30 to 250 and ran it EMPTY for 1 hour .
Strips out of the fridge . Coat with fresh ground black pepper . Leave on counter to warm up .
After the burn off ,
Turn smoker off and let the heat out .
Reset the smoker to 110 .
Add the strips to the smoker .
Filled the 12" tube with hickory pellets . Got it burning good and put in mailbox .
Ran 4 hours at 110 then bumped to 160 for 2 hours .
Meat IT was 140 after the 2 hours at 160 .
Turned heat back to 140 and let the smoke run out .
Let it cool , then in the fridge over night .
Came out pretty good , I'll be doing this again .
1 pound of beef knuckle strips
20200913_075320.jpg
Cure , sugar pepper and the meat mixed in the bag for curing
20200913_075804.jpg
Warming up , coated with black pepper .
20200917_073310.jpg
Fresh out of the smoker .
20200917_194629.jpg
Close up . Took some nice color .
20200917_194632.jpg
Inside .
20200917_194838.jpg
So S Smokin' Penguin you asked about doing this . This is just how I did it . Was a first for me . The store bought stuff is most likely pressure cooked with liquid smoke added . Not as tender as the store bought but it's really good . Just have to know where to take a bite . Lol .

Looks tasty to me. I don't have the back teeth or Jaw Power for old fashioned dry Jerky...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks tasty to me. I don't have the back teeth or Jaw Power for old fashioned dry Jerky...JJ
Thanks bud . I wanted to give it a try , because smokin penguin was asking about it . I took it to 140 IT . Maybe less time in the smoker and a lower internal temp would soften the bite . Chew isn't bad . Flavor is really good . Thanks for the comment .

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Those look pretty good Rich! I never had kippered beef before but they remind of the old "blind robins" kippered herring snack found in bars. Those things were nasty, the beef looks much better.

That looks very good. To maybe make it more tender cold smoke it then pressure cook?

Looks Awesome, Rich!!
I never had it.
I'm wondering if cutting across grain would help a little with the Tenderness.
Love the Color Too!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Those look pretty good Rich! I never had kippered beef before but they remind of the old "blind robins" kippered herring snack found in bars. Those things were nasty, the beef looks much better.
Thanks Joe . The " kippered " comes from the fish . From what I understand it's a method used on whole herring . Pickled and cold smoked . Other things done in that style , took on the name .
Not sure how close I got , but I'll do it again .
Looks very tasty to me!
Thanks J .

That looks very good. To maybe make it more tender cold smoke it then pressure cook?
Yeah , or maybe SV at some point . I'm only guessing , but the commercial stuff is probably liquid smoke and artificial color . " Red dye no. 19 " Lol.
Maybe pull at 130 , and wrap in plastic next time . Hold couple days in the fridge . It's worth doing .
Thanks for the feed back . If you try it let me know .

Most excellent!
I’m getting to the age where chewing can be difficult so bought a meat gun a few years ago where I’ll grind up beef (usually brisket trimmings) and almost emulsify it (almost hotdog consistency), spice it, cure it and smoke it. Better tasting than a Slim Jim but similar consistency.

Looks Awesome, Rich!!
Thank you sir . Dried beef in strips . Up the brown sugar to give it a glazed look and some sweetness .
I'm wondering if cutting across grain would help a little with the Tenderness.
Love the Color Too!!
Yup , the color was perfect .
It should be cut with the grain , but you could do it the other way . The strips should be longer . I cut those in half . I think the cut of meat plays a part in the tenderness . Overall these are pretty good .

Thank you sir . Dried beef in strips . Up the brown sugar to give it a glazed look and some sweetness .

Yup , the color was perfect .
It should be cut with the grain , but you could do it the other way . The strips should be longer . I cut those in half . I think the cut of meat plays a part in the tenderness . Overall these are pretty good .

If you crosscut them, you could use your "Chopsaw"!! :emoji_wink: :emoji_bear:

Bear

I just put about a lb and a half in some wet brine. Strips of a rump roast I've had for about a month in the freezer cut between a half inch square to 5/8 square. Small roast because I've never had this stuff come out right. I'll follow up in about 6 days.

1/2 gallon water, 1/2 cup salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, 2 tsp cure #1, red flakes, a dash of pickling spices because I'm hoping for just a hint of pastrami flavor and a 1/4 cup soy sauce because I always use soy in jerky. Fancy cooks who make lots of money call it umami, what the soy adds. I just know I like it.
Penguin has started something beautiful 🙂

How about using eye of round for this recipe? I got a couple of 10 lb eye of round i need to use up

Any lean Beef you Cure will work. You are good to go with Eye Round...JJ

Reactions: bigbuck
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky