Kielbasa Recippe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jipnsmoke

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
south west ohio
Wondering if any one here has tried this recipe for Kielbasa. I've tried different ones but not satisfied yet. LOL

Comments on this one before I make it is appreciated

Ingredients

4 lbs. ground pork shoulder

1 lb. ground beef

2 cups ice water  I did 1 1/2 cups of water.  after making the recipe1 cup would of been enough.

1 tsp. #1 insta cure

7 tsp. kosher salt                              Cut back to 5 tsp. Kosher salt or 4 tsp. table salt.

1 Tbs. sugar

1 Tbs. garlic powder  Did 2 Tbs. of fresh garlic minced.

1 Tbs. course black pepper

1 Tbs. onion powder

2 1/2 tsp. mustard powder

1 cup nonfat powdered milk

Here is the other  recipe I will be doing.

Ingredients

4 lbs. ground pork shoulder

1 lb. ground beef

2 cups ice water  I did 1 1/2 cups of water.  after making the recipe1 cup would of been enough.

1 tsp #1 insta cure

7 tsp kosher salt                          Cut back to 5 tsp. Kosher salt or 4 tsp. table salt.

1 1/4 tsp.sugar

1 Tbs. garlic powder  Did 2 Tbs. of fresh garlic minced.

1 Tbs. course black pepper

1 Tbs. onion powder

1 tsp. ground marjoram

1 cup nonfat powdered milk

Difference less sugar and marjoram instead of mustard.

Got all the spices put together for both recipes, Brown blows spices & herbs. Pink pig blows powdered milk. Little blows salt and insta cure.

7lbs. Pork shoulder and two pounds of ground beef Shoulder on sale at Meijer's, Bought 4 of them. $1.19 lb.

Deboned, removed some unwanted tissue. Came out to 6 lbs. Need 2 more lbs. of pork. Lucky me local store had some pork sour loin on sale.

$0.99 cents lb. We'll debone and cut up. Add one more pound of pork to each recipe. Now I have 4 pounds pork and one pound ground beef for each recipe.

Spices are mixed into the meat. Hand mix. No powdered milk, salts or water.

Hum two extra pounds of pork. Ok mix up some breakfast sausage.  Now we'll put all the meat back into the frig for 4 hours so spices can impregnate meat. oh ya.

4 Hours are up. First I'll grind the sausage and get it out of the way.

Had to make up two paddies for wife and I to taste. The rest packaged and in the freezer.

Ok now onto grinding both recipes but separated.

Have the salt and cure dissolving in 1 1/2 cups of ice cold water.

Ground up, one on left is mustard and must say it smell delicious.

I mix the powdered milk into the meat, next added the dissolved cure and salt water. Mixed well until sticky. Now I know 1 cup of water would of been just fine.

Time to get the stuffer out and make some rings. I'm using fresh hog casings. So fare I'm very pleased.

Tomorrow into the smoker. The high temp tomorrow here in Ohio is 16 degrees and windy. This out to be fun. Ya right in my mind maybe LOL.

More updates tomorrow. We'll find out what taste better mustard or marjoram. well at least my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
It looks like all of the ingredients are correct for the amount of meat you are using.

Any clues as to where you got this recipe from?  

Recipe sounds good as stated cut the water in half

I like to add 1 tsp. marjoram when I make it

Richie

It looks like all of the ingredients are correct for the amount of meat you are using.

Any clues as to where you got this recipe from?  
​I've seen this recipe couple of times. I believe on YouTube and some where else. I've wrote it down but never got around to trying it.

I would cut the water volume I half if I was making it
As CrankyBuzzard said." Good catch." My other recipes say 1 cup For that amount of meat.

Recipe sounds good as stated cut the water in half

I like to add 1 tsp. marjoram when I make it

Richie
Richie, I see most of the recipes use marjoram in them, But this one has powdered mustard in it. Don't know if that would be the different.

I've not tried this one, and I'm no kielbasa coinesseuer, however, I've made Rytek's fresh recipe and really enjoyed it. He also has a smoked version, and next time I make it, I will start there.

10 lb.

2 c. Ice water
2 c. Soy protein concentrate
5 Tb. Kosher salt
1 Tb. Sugar
2 tsp. Cure #1
1 Tb. Black coarse pepper
2 large cloves garlic
1 heaping tsp marjoram

The main difference seems to be the fresh garlic vs powder, less sugar, no onion, and marjoram instead of mustard. The NFDM could be subbed for the soy protein concentrate, but yeah, I agree about the water from others above. Let us know what you use and how it turns out.

I've not tried this one, and I'm no kielbasa coinesseuer, however, I've made Rytek's fresh recipe and really enjoyed it. He also has a smoked version, and next time I make it, I will start there.

10 lb.

2 c. Ice water
2 c. Soy protein concentrate
5 Tb. Kosher salt
1 Tb. Sugar
2 tsp. Cure #1
1 Tb. Black coarse pepper
2 large cloves garlic
1 heaping tsp marjoram

The main difference seems to be the fresh garlic vs powder, less sugar, no onion, and marjoram instead of mustard. The NFDM could be subbed for the soy protein concentrate, but yeah, I agree about the water from others above. Let us know what you use and how it turns out.
Well, I've haven't tried the mustard recipe. I'm going to make 5 lb. of it and 5 lbs. of my marjoram recipe. I'll definitely let you all know how it turns out. It will be next week though a lot going on X-mas time and all. 
Definitely go with fresh garlic over dry. Makes a big difference
I will go fresh with the garlic. Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and happy Holidays.

I've been using a tsp of Mustard seed in mine, but the ground mustard might give it a bit more "kick". I've never done Kielbasa without Marjoram....
Seems like a lot of salt. Are you using Morton or Diamond Crystal?
Looking forward to your results.
Merry Christmas!

Dan

I've been using a tsp of Mustard seed in mine, but the ground mustard might give it a bit more "kick". I've never done Kielbasa without Marjoram....
Seems like a lot of salt. Are you using Morton or Diamond Crystal?
Looking forward to your results.
Merry Christmas!

Dan
​7 teaspoons kosher salt for 5 lbs. meat.? You thought 7 Tbsp.? I use Morton Kosher salt. We'll have to wait and see what the powder mustard does. Hope good. LOL

Well X-mas is over. Because of the delay had to freeze meat. Now it's in the fridge and thawing out. I'll get the meat cut up into cubes, add seasoning, mix and let sit in the frig over night. The water and cure will be added later. This will be Friday.  I'll take some pics and up date as I go along.  Again I'm going to make 2 batches one of the mustard recipe and the a marjoram recipe. Only thought how much fresh garlic instead of powdered. Always heard twice as much fresh compared to dried. It says 1 Tbs. garlic powder so 2 Tbs. of fresh? Anyone comment on this? For 5 Lbs. meat.

Well X-mas is over. Because of the delay had to freeze meat. Now it's in the fridge and thawing out. I'll get the meat cut up into cubes, add seasoning, mix and let sit in the frig over night. The water and cure will be added later. This will be Friday.  I'll take some pics and up date as I go along.  Again I'm going to make 2 batches one of the mustard recipe and the a marjoram recipe. Only thought how much fresh garlic instead of powdered. Always heard twice as much fresh compared to dried. It says 1 Tbs. garlic powder so 2 Tbs. of fresh? Anyone comment on this? For 5 Lbs. meat.
Fresh Garlic in fresh sausage add to taste.Start with a Tspn make a small fry patty,do that til it is to your liking

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky