KFC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
Kettle fried chicken. Have any of you tried this with your vortex and kettle? I found a beer batter recipe that sounds great and I really want to give this KFC a try on my kettle. I’m going to be making this sometime this week. I’ll post some pics and my results afterwards. Take care everyone and be safe.
G

Reactions: TNJAKE
I just bought a box of the KFC for chicken on my kettle.

I’m looking forward to trying this out. I watched a few YouTube videos for various ideas and tips. I’m going to try making a beer batter for it and we will see how it comes out. I’ll definitely post some pictures when the great experiment is completed.
G

I been making this for years. I all-ways use Louisiana chicken fry. You can spray dry spots with a little oil during the cook. Here is the original thread from another forum over 10 years ago.

Here is one of mine

20191103_163425_49015926982_o.jpg 20191103_163430_49015927172_o.jpg 20191103_170232_49015927837_o.jpg 20191103_175820_49015928107_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
Watch how hot you get it. The crust will burn. Really don't need vortec for this but if you do don't fill it and close down vent some. You can just bank coals on one side. I run it around 375. You got me to do some this weekend. Picked up some chicken fry today!

Reactions: chopsaw
Here are the first two pics. First the battered chicken. Second the chicken right after the first flip. Just waiting for them to come to temp now.
3E6930F3-4ADB-438E-BCD5-5AF5AAEC4B00.jpeg 8F557CEC-57C4-44C4-BCC6-DF0796CACF10.jpeg
G

Here we go. I’m really happy with the results but I am going to say that I should have used much more spice in the batter. Other than that it came out pretty much perfect. The lack of greasy oil was really awesome. It was just super juicy as crispy. I’ll be doing this on a regular basis.
BEE75CCD-E8E1-442B-B641-D0F307A3931F.jpeg D2C7FC57-33EC-40FB-98F7-376A967C40C8.jpeg
G

That came out great . Yup the coating can really take some salt . More than you think .
Nice work .

Have mercy! I love some fried chicken. Now you got me thinking about this. Looks great!
Jim

Looks good and an interesting technique. Try Brining the Chicken for a flavorful meat to the Bone!...JJ

Families Favorite Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt
2T Paprika
2T Gran. Garlic
2T Gran. Onion
2T Dry Thyme
2T Black Pepper
1C Vinegar (Any)
1-11/2Gal Cold Water to cover Chix
1T Red Pepper Flake Optional

Mix well and Soak the Bird over night or up to 24 Hours.

Remove the Chix, rinse if desired and pat dry with paper towels.

Place in an open container in the refrigerator overnight or up to 24 hours for the Skin to dry.

This will give a crispier skin when Smoking, Frying or Roasting...

Yours looks Great, Riverside!!!
I'm sure it's better than the KFC we get around here. I call it "Kentucky Fried Rocks"!!
Lately I've been doing My Chicken parts in my #360 Air Fryer, without breading, but I do miss the breading itself, just not our local KFC's Rocks.
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky