1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

KFC chicken

Discussion in 'Grilling Chicken' started by gmc2003, Apr 13, 2018.

1. gmc2003

gmc2003 Legendary Pitmaster OTBS Member

Kettle Fried Chicken that is.

I've seen a few videos about people making fried chicken on their kettles - so I figured why not. Both the wife and I love fried chicken but not so much the oil. Since this wasn't a preplanned dinner I used thighs so I didn't have to brine. It will definitely be done again, as we both perferred it over deep-frying

First the mixin's, forgot to show the Franks hot sauce that was mixed in with the wet batter: and no the comet wasn't one of the ingredients.
    DSC00472.JPG

Seasoned flour on the left, Seasoned beer batter on the right.
    DSC00473.JPG
    Sorry my hands were to messy to show the dredging. 5 thighs all battered up and 5 just seasoned(in case this didn't work out).
    DSC00474.JPG

My little buddy skid-mark protecting the vittles.
    DSC00475.JPG

The finished product. Moist and juicy.
    DSC00476.JPG

A couple take-a-ways. First I should have let the kettle get up to temp before putting the chicken on. Once I filled the Vortex with hot charcoal I put the chicken on the grill(cold chicken - cold grill - big no-no). Second, the batter on the bottom of the chicken stuck to the grate so I'll give the grate a shot of Pam next time. Overall the chicken was moist and juicey and the skin was chunchy. I'll also need to add more seasoning to the batter and flour. Let me know what you think, and if there are any improvements that you know of.

Thanks for looking

Chris

2. yankee2bbq

yankee2bbq Master of the Pit

Everything looks good! You’re a good cook!

3. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Interesting! What temp did you cook at?

4. gmc2003

Thanks yankee, I'm not a real good cook, but I pretend to be in my backyard. Thanks for the like.

Tallbm that's a good question that I can't answer. I had a full lit chimney in the vortex, but I forgot to let the kettle come up to temp. before putting the chicken on. So in the begining ambient temp, and at the end I would say close to 400*.
    Thanks for the like.

5. chopsaw

chopsaw Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks good . Ive done this before . This is how I went about it . Instead of a batter I soak the chicken in hot sauce or wing sauce . Then coat with seasoned flour . Let that tack up then flour again and maybe a 3rd time . Get the grill hot . I put the chicken on non stick foil and let it go til it's done . I don't flip . Comes out good . Yours look great .

Brian Trommater likes this.
  6. tallbm

tallbm Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Wow this all sounds very interesting. I bet I could do this with my propane grill!

7. jaxgatorz

jaxgatorz Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks good to me .. And i'm glad you didnt use the comet... There was this one time at band camp..............

8. gmc2003

Thanks for the idea's chop, I made the mistake of not letting the kettle get up to temp. The soak sound interesting I'll have to think that one through.

I don't see why not, I use the kettle because it get's much hotter then my WSM. I haven't used propane in years.

I am the sherminator, a BBQ pitmaster sent back through time to change the methods of cooking chicken.
    Thanks for the like Jax.

Chris

9. Steve H

Steve H Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I see much more of these cooks I'll weigh a metric ton! Looks awesome

10. chopsaw

It can be what ever you want . Don't have to be hot sauce . The idea is the flour soaks it up and makes a crust .

11. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Great idea!
    Your chicken looks delicious!
    Al

12. gmc2003

You only live once...Thanks for looking Steve.

Thanks for the tips chopsaw. Now to think of a combo that works together.

Thanks for the look and compliment Al. It's definitely a work in progress. A few more experiments and I should get it where I want.

Bear thanks for the like.

Chris

13. RiversideSm0ker

RiversideSm0ker Master of the Pit

Weber kettle + vortex = I am getting antsy to buy that kettle sooner than later. This is one thing I've see a few videos about on YouTube. I really want to give this a try. I think that I'm going to get my tank exchanged this weekend and try this on my gas grill. I hope that i can get it hot enough to make it work. I like the idea abouit using foil. I may try that. I'll use a probe in my gas grill to get a real idea of the temp. What do you think the temp needs to be for this to be effective?

George

14. gmc2003

George,
    I don't remember the temp, but I believe the Vortex will get the outside of the grate(near the lid) around 400+ degrees using KBB. Over the Vortex itself you can almost double it. Remember to use gloves when taking the lid off the Kettle as it gets very hot. Sorry I can't help you out with the gasser. I haven't used one in years. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the point appreciate it.

Chris

15. chopsaw

I done this both ways as a test . I pre heated a Genesis 310 , lid therm said 550 . I then turned the middle burner to low , left the outside on high . Foil on a baking sheet with a little cooking oil on the foil .
    These were parts I had in Pop's brine .
    These were dipped in ranch dressing then floured . Tacked up then flour again until no longer tacky .
    20180414_120351.jpg
    Wings cooked same way but no flour . These came out great . Hard to tell they were not deep fried .
    20180720_182513.jpg 20180720_185822.jpg
    George I would say you need at least 425 450 on a gasser . After all you are really baking these or oven fried .
    Hope it works out .

16. Chris
    Well you did realize that you needed a hot grill, with that in mind doing so I found you don't need the pam.
    Just let the chicken cook for 15 min before flipping (i usually start with bone side down).Flip after 10 min skin side down, then flip last time to bone. Damper down and let it finish cooking. I also put a little chunk of wood on grill above my coals for added flavor. I don't use brine either for this method. Haven't made a wet batter, but used flour, egg wash, either flour or panko bread crumbs that I add seasoning to. Like you said really crispy skin, and juicy.
    kit

17. gmc2003

Good to know kit, thanks. I'll be doing this again when I get back from Georgia. I'm always looking to improve my methods.

Chop can you taste the ranch or does it lost in the flour?

Chris

18. chopsaw

Chris a also put some dry ranch seasoning in the flour mix . Yes you could taste it .

gmc2003 likes this.
  19. gmc2003

Cool thanks. I started seasoning the meat instead of the flour for that very reason. Allot of the flavor got lost in the flour.

20. RiversideSm0ker

RiversideSm0ker Master of the Pit

Chopsaw did you use a mixed ranch dressing or just the ranch dressing powder before the flour?

George