Kettle Spares!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
We're in the mid-70's daily now and getting hotter every day, 85º this weekend. Thawed a rack of spares from Freezermart and set about making ready for a cook on the kettle. First up a coat of mustard followed by a healthy dose of Pig's Ass rub.
DSCN4464.JPG

Set up the charcoal chain on the Weber and then got a half dozen starter coals going on the chimney

DSCN4465.JPG

The kind of morning it makes a man glad to be alive and living in Arizona, pool season opens in about a month

DSCN4466.JPG

Starter coals hot, chain set up with cherry wood chunks, drip pan installed, let's go!

DSCN4467.JPG

Easy enough to just move the grill around and keep the meat off the hot coals

DSCN4468.JPG

About five hours in and beginning to look pretty sweet, hit the rack with some Kansas City Joe's

DSCN4469.JPG

45-50 minutes later the spares are bending nice and toothpick probing just right, no FOTB for me, into the kitchen!

DSCN4470.JPG

Plated up with some cole slaw and beans, little more sauce on the side, little glass of cab to wash things down

DSCN4471.JPG

Now that's my definition of a Happy Meal! A perfect bite and absolutely delicious spareribs, a three napkin dinner. Got more coals and some yardbird thighs, another gorgeous day here, thinkin' about chicken and ribs for tonight's dinner. Thanks for lookin' in, stay safe out there! RAY

Hell of some nice looking ribs Ray! The color is off the charts and I can smell them through the computer screen.

Better throw your speedo on and get out there and clean the pool before it gets too warm!

Reactions: sawhorseray
Hell of some nice looking ribs Ray! The color is off the charts and I can smell them through the computer screen.

Better throw your speedo on and get out there and clean the pool before it gets too warm!
Thanks John, that cherry wood does seem to give dead pig meat a nice color! Jumpin' in the pool doesn't require a darned thing, not like there's any fish in it! Thanks for the Like amigo, I appreciate it. RAY

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Nice Ray!! I've got my smoker lit right now. Waiting on temp and the smoke to clear up and then 2 racks of ribs going on some hickory coals...

I wish I were down there watching my Royals in spring training............and having some ribs and beers. Great job Ray, looks fantastic!

Nice Ray!! I've got my smoker lit right now. Waiting on temp and the smoke to clear up and then 2 racks of ribs going on some hickory coals...
Sounds great Charles! I used hickory almost exclusively when I had my offset SQ36, had to buy bags of wood from Cabelas. Smoking wood costs a fortune here in the desert where hardwood trees don't grow, main reason I no longer have that smoker! Thanks for the Like Charles! RAY

Some good looking ribs and they sure as heck don’t get better than that. BBQ, pool, hot weather? That sounds like vacation to me!

I wish I were down there watching my Royals in spring training............and having some ribs and beers. Great job Ray, looks fantastic!
Thanks Colin! I might take a short ride over to Mesa this week to check out how the Giants look this year, tho I hate being in any kind of crowd. With the Super Bowl and PGA tourney being here on the same weekend people flew in from all over and brought covid with them, I'm just getting over it. Nah, I'll stay home. Thanks for the Like Colin! RAY

Those are perfect Ray ! Nice work bud . I bet it was smellin good in the hood .
Thanks Rich! It was feelin' darned good in the hood too, I just can't think of a better way to spend a nice spring day, be even better in a month when the pool opens up, tho Bob doesn't seem to mind the 47º water one bit. Thanks for the Like Rich, appreciate it! RAY

Some good looking ribs and they sure as heck don’t get better than that. BBQ, pool, hot weather? That sounds like vacation to me!
Thanks Joe! Before the pandemic we used to go to Mexico and Hawaii for a week every year, sit at the swamp bar. Now I make the drinks, there's more and better booze in them, but I never get any tips! Thanks for the Like Joe! RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky