Kentucky Black BBQ Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bhambrewer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Birmingham, Alabama
I wrote the recipe up on my blog, link over here-

1 cup Worcester sauce
1 cup tomato sauce (for non-US folks, this isn't ketchup, it's more like a severely plain pasta sauce like passata)
1 cup water (for non US folks, take 1 cup to be 240ml)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup brown sugar, or sugar substitute such as erithrytol or monkfruit (I made it with erithrytol)
1 or 2 teaspoons hot pepper flakes, or a splash of hot pepper sauce
2 tablespoons butter
season to taste with salt and pepper, or salt and fresh ground coriander seed

Add everything to a pan. Bring to boil. Turn down to active simmer. Simmer 5 minutes. This is a very liquid sauce that you can also use as a BBQ mopping sauce.

Flavour profile: umami, mildly spicy. In Kentucky it's paired with BBQ mutton. In Alabama mutton is not widely available (understatement) so I used pulled pork. I will use lamb next time, because I can totally see how well this blend will work with lamb, or mutton if I can ever get any.

Last edited:
You from the Owensboro area?
Been almost 40 years since I was there and don't remember the Q'd mutton or sauces.

I'm with O Omnivore and think this might pair well with venison.
We take haunches (remove the pit) and cure out for dried venison.
What cut do you corn? Neck roast?

You from the Owensboro area?
Been almost 40 years since I was there and don't remember the Q'd mutton or sauces.

I'm with O Omnivore and think this might pair well with venison.
We take haunches (remove the pit) and cure out for dried venison.
What cut do you corn? Neck roast?

unless Owensboro has an outcropping in Scotland... no ;)

I read voraciously, and go off down rabbit trails and end up mashing up everything I've read into one fusion in my brain. This particular recipe came from Raichlen, but there's loads out there. When I look for a recipe I am looking for a simple version, which means there's a lot of flexibility in there to tweak and customise.

Alas I do not have access to venison.

Looks very interesting1
I will make a small batch & give it a try!
Thanks for posting it!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky