Kabanosy snack sticks

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by crankybuzzard, Dec 5, 2015.

1. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

It's the time of year that I start making SS and snack sticks, and I love it! I live in Texas, there are days that my smoker is at 125 degrees and it's just from the sun! Some of those days are in October!

Made some cheesy beef and bean burrito sausage earlier today, now I'm doing some Kabanosy!

This is my bride's favorite snack stick and the one most requested from her family, and our boys. So I usually make 20 or so pounds each winter. Tonight's batch is only 10 pounds, so it won't last long. I'll be making more soon, I'm sure!

Kabanosy, to us, is the sausage I can't experiment with any more than the tiny bit that I have since finding the recipe online. My wife says that it's the one sausage I make that she knows will be exactly what she wants, and she's picky!

So, this is the ONLY all pork sausage that gets the lean to fat weighed out...

The spices and seasonings are where I tweaked a bit. I toast the caraway seed before I add it, and I use smoked kosher salt.

The recipe also calls for just water, I add 1/2 water and 1/2 white wine. Don't tell grandma!

Once it's all mixed up, I stuff it into 19mm casings. Have you ever used 19mm casings?!? They are a PITA! Takes forever, need a special tube, it makes a LOT of sticks, but it's so sweet, when they are done!!!! Still a PITA though.

Hey, what's on your pantry doors?

I let them sit there for about an hour, and then into the frig. Bride came In the kitchen, barely dodged the links, rolled her eyes, got a shot of tequila, and left. I figure I'm good to go!

Smoke and heat on them tomorrow... Finished pics then.

2. litterbug

litterbug Smoke Blower

I'm in on this one too..

3. crazymoon

crazymoon Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

CB, They are looking good, I agree Kabonosy are great but the stuffing is a PITA!

4. twoalpha

twoalpha Smoking Fanatic

Looking good to this point. [​IMG]

5. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Should be good! I'll hang around for the finish.

6. crankybuzzard

crankybuzzard Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Got busy yesterday and didn't post the finish report.

Have I mentioned that Kabanosy sticks are great?  Well, they are!

These came out with the perfect bite on the casing.

They sat in the smoker for a couple of hours at 120 without smoke, I added smoke and bumped to 130, bumped 10 degrees every 30 minutes until I hit 170 and let them run until I got to an IT of 153.

After I pulled them, I put them on the granite countertop to cool down.  This seems to work well for me with the collagen casings.

After cooling, I sliced a few small pieces from several sticks.  The texture is just what I was looking for!

I brought 2 pounds to work today and I only have a few sticks left!  Planning to make more soon since this batch won't be around long!

driedstick, gary s, tropics and 3 others like this.
  7. boykjo

boykjo Sausage maker Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Nice sticks CB. They look awesome..............[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. chewmeister

chewmeister Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Those look great. The small casings can be a little tricky to work with. That's why I use 21mm ones. Recipe?

9. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Another thing I am out of,its on the list I know it is weres the list.just one of them days

Richie

[​IMG]

10. crankybuzzard

Thanks!  They taste amazing.  

For the recipe, I start with this one, but I modified it a bit  http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/kabanosy

I use smoked kosher salt and I toast the caraway seeds before use.  I also add about 1/2g of allspice per 1000g of meat.

For the water, I use 1/2 water and 1/2 white wine.  The bride wants me to use red wine next trip to see how it is...

I also don't follow their smoke routine, I use the one that many of us on here do:  120° for 2 hours no smoke, bump the temp to 130 add smoke, and then bump up the temp every 30 minutes until the pit is at 170.  Run until I get an IT of 152° or so.

11. crankybuzzard

Coming from the master, I appreciate that!
    Gracias!

That list is getting LONG my friend!  

12. chewmeister

chewmeister Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Thanks for the info. I've made these in the past from that link, but they seemed to lack in flavor. I'll try and spice up the next batch a little and see how they turn out.

13. crankybuzzard

Most all of the recipes on that site are good starting points. But, as you said, not always as flavorful as they could be. That's just one more thing that makes this hobby great, we can make it taste how we want.

14. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Dang it CB them look great - Very nice job [​IMG]

Do you smoke your own Kosher?? 

A full smoker is a happy smoker

DS

15. crankybuzzard

Thanks!

I've been smoking salt for quite a few years, but I've always done it cold. I'm going to try the hot (warm) smoke next time I do some. I have a couple of folks in the family that request it each year. Here's the last batch. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/236880/smoking-some-salt-im-getting-low

16. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yep I do mine also,,just Rock salt thou I made a couple of these for my MES 30 

Have you read this one?? good Read  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/125996/the-great-smoked-salt-experiment

Sorry about the salt question do not want to get off the post of these great looking snack sticks

Great job again,,, Oh Did you say that your wife likes these one??LOL 

17. I don't know how in the Heck I missed this, [​IMG]     I guess better late than never.  Wow CB those look great, I see you made me some to !!!    What a nice job I know those have to taste great.

[​IMG]    [​IMG]

Gary

18. dukeburger

dukeburger Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Those look purdy... Nice sticks, CB

[​IMG]

19. crankybuzzard

Thanks gents!

Looks like I'll be making more in the very near future, this batch is almost wiped out!

20. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

What is the lean to fat ratio ideally 70/30 80/20 ?? Course or fine grind on the meat?